Tagging places of old photos

Started by mastodon, February 10, 2021, 02:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastodon

I have a lot of photos, that are taken before the II. Wolrd War, so many location (streetes, places), cities, counties and even countries has different name now, than that time. Which name to choose, the old name or the new one? Most of time I don't have GPS coordionates, so different names will render pictures into different location categories, although they were taken  on the same place.
Has anybody a good workflow for handling location names changes?

Carlo Didier

I would use the current name in the standard metadata fields and add the former names in the description.

sinus

Quote from: Carlo Didier on February 10, 2021, 03:42:31 PM
I would use the current name in the standard metadata fields and add the former names in the description.

Make sense for me.
I think, a LOT of places has changed the name ... even the country.
(not exactly the same, but also names of humans does change (often specialy names of women) and I guess, you do also use the new names?!  8)

Hence I support Carlos proposal.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Carlo Didier

Quote from: sinus on February 10, 2021, 03:54:58 PM
(not exactly the same, but also names of humans does change (often specialy names of women)
Actually, for people I prefer to always use the maiden name, because that never changes  :)  If married, I add an alias category (I still manage people in categories)

Mario

People properties allow you to record previous names in the "Other Names" property.
I have experienced twice that a man took on the last name of his wife, for some reasons or others.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on February 10, 2021, 09:17:50 PM
People properties allow you to record previous names in the "Other Names" property.
I have experienced twice that a man took on the last name of his wife, for some reasons or others.

I know a man, who uses the name of his mother.  :o

Or did you know, quite a lot of people does change a) the First name and b) the Last name and.... this they do officially!!!
Means, they really have a new, officially name. I have lerned (because I know a woman, who did this), that this is not tat uncommon.

(hmm, was not in the press, that a relative of Trump want change her name?)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

All pretty normal, I guess.
IMatch is now used in over 70 countries, with a wide range of 'localization' challenges. I don't know them all, but some.

This is, for example, why Persons in IMatch don't have properties like first name, middle name or last name. Because these are not used everywhere, or not in the same sense.
IMatch allows you to enter a tag (whatever you prefer) and a full name (with whatever formatting is correct in your country), plus a short name (often used for the nick name or calling name, which are very important in some countries) etc. The Other Names property finally can record any number of other or previous names, without any limiting formats or rules.

This makes the concept very flexible and users have a variety of fields to record the name of a person.

Another 'trick' I've used is the Sort by property, which allows users to control precisely how IMatch is sorting persons, and by which part of the name.
Because this is a really tricky issue and varies a lot between countries.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook