Affinity 50% off

Started by Aubrey, January 19, 2021, 02:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

In case the community haven't seen this:
Affinity is giving 50% off their products. Now US$24.99 for Affinity Photo (In Europe Euro 27.99). They are also giving a 90 day trial.
Perhaps for those of you on the fence with Photoshop, a chance to save a few pennies to put towards IMatch 2021!

I bought last year and use it for stitching panoramas, some HDR and other stuff. I'm not a big user, but useful to have in my toolbox.

As usual IMatch interfaces perfectly with Affinity output!  ;)

Aubrey.

mastodon

I can confirm, that Affinity Photo is quite good at stitching panoramas, dehasing foggy pictures and small retouching. I have been using it for two years.

Menace

Photo is Nice, but don't forget to mention Designer (Adobe Illustrator) and Publisher (QuarkXpress / Adobe InDesign). Currently I love Publisher (try the beta).

Mario

I like Designer. I did all app icons in IMatch, the photools.com logo etc. in Designer.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

I bought all 3 when They were on offer last year.
I've not used designer, except to go through a few online tutorials!
I've used publisher a few times. Easier to use than ms word when proofing stuff with images.

Mario

For the very occasional DTP work I do I use the Microsoft Publisher which is part of the Office 365 subscription I have.
I know my ways around it and it is quite capable and easy to use.

I have never used Affinity Publisher and since I don't need it for compatibility testing for IMatch, I did not purchase it  ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on January 19, 2021, 05:14:01 PM
For the very occasional DTP work I do I use the Microsoft Publisher which is part of the Office 365 subscription I have.
I know my ways around it and it is quite capable and easy to use.

I haven't learned MS Publisher. One thing I noted with Affinity publisher is that if one wants to tweak a photo that has come from Affinity, one can go to Affinity Photo from A. Publisher and make the mods. This is then automatically updated in Publisher (user can choose whether to update or not). I'm not an expert user I trundle my way around with the help of Google and YouTube when I say, "how can I do this?" !

Menace

I come from QuarkXpress and for me, the next version (currently buggy 1.9 beta) can all do, what I need for big documents (100+ pages).

The advantages are, you can easily switch inside a afpub-Document between Designer, Photo and Publisher.
Disadvantages: it is Proprietary (like adobe-stuff).

Big advantage: It is not adobe.  ;)

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Menace on January 19, 2021, 06:22:33 PM
Big advantage: It is not adobe.  ;)

OK, but Adobe has set milestones in photography and design. And in metadata, in color-profiles and so on.
I do not forget this.
It is also clear that they have made and are making mistakes.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Menace

They buy a lot of stuff (software) and let it down. It make this stupid rent system, try to get every competitor really down and use their marketpower to control everything to their favor.

No, even I started with macromedia dreamweaver and freehand and stopped finally with CS6. I changed to more companies to support competition (Photools, Capture One, Affinity, QuarkXpress) and more freeware-stuff.

sinus

Quote from: Menace on January 19, 2021, 07:09:48 PM
They buy a lot of stuff (software) and let it down. It make this stupid rent system, try to get every competitor really down and use their marketpower to control everything to their favor.

No, even I started with macromedia dreamweaver and freehand and stopped finally with CS6. I changed to more companies to support competition (Photools, Capture One, Affinity, QuarkXpress) and more freeware-stuff.

I hate monthly rent system. I do not have it except microsoft, but this is another story.
I work still with CS6  ;D works still nice and good.

My problem is that the professionals I work with just use Photoshop and InDesign and expect me to do the same. (and the same problem with Microsoft).
I worked also with Scribus, Corel or other free or cheap programs, if I am alone, it would not be a problem, but if you work with other, it is a problem (at least for me).

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Jingo

Quote from: sinus on January 19, 2021, 10:20:42 PM

My problem is that the professionals I work with just use Photoshop and InDesign and expect me to do the same. (and the same problem with Microsoft).
I worked also with Scribus, Corel or other free or cheap programs, if I am alone, it would not be a problem, but if you work with other, it is a problem (at least for me).

Sorry... I'd be one of those "must use Indesign" folks...  8)  I use Photoshop and Indesign daily and have for almost two decades... still the best combo for book and magazine creation IMO and it would be hard to change software at this point.  If I didn't use for professional work making money with the product - I would explore the alternatives as well!

I do own Affinity Photo and pull it up every so often when I don't feel like loading Photoshop.. but there is nothing like "old familiar"!

voronwe

Quote from: Jingo on January 19, 2021, 11:31:52 PM
Quote from: sinus on January 19, 2021, 10:20:42 PM

Sorry... I'd be one of those "must use Indesign" folks...  8)  I use Photoshop and Indesign daily and have for almost two decades... still the best combo for book and magazine creation IMO and it would be hard to change software at this point.  If I didn't use for professional work making money with the product - I would explore the alternatives as well!

I do own Affinity Photo and pull it up every so often when I don't feel like loading Photoshop.. but there is nothing like "old familiar"!

I think the good point of Affinity is that you get a good software for a very reasonable price. And this is especially a good option for Hobby-Users than me, who do not want to pay money every month for a software they rarely use (and it counts up in the end 10€ here, 10€ there ....).
For me, Publisher is the software I waited for. I'm doing Fotobooks as a hobby (and as a way the save images), but InDesign is too expensive for this. I did it with Scribus for a long time, but lets face it: Scribus is outdated. And when I first got Publisher I had really a wow-effect. It makes it much more easier to design the Books. And especially that you can connect it with Photo is a phantastic feature. Because so you can load the pure image into the publisher and do all work on it (e.g. Masking, change the brightness, ect.) without changing the original.

I think for professionals there are a lot of missing features (especially footnotes), but it is very good for hobbyist