120 opens faster?

Started by HansEverts, October 12, 2013, 05:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HansEverts

I have the impression 120 opens much faster than previous versions. IMatch used to get stuck for sometimes a few minutes at "initializing user ... ". With 120 the whole process takes 20 seconds.

Is that correct?

Mario

I'm improving things all the time of course.
Without any additional info, I can only guess. For example, has your database 20,000 or 120,000 files?
What took so long (logfile) in previous versions compared to the current version (logfile).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

HansEverts

I didn't really mean this as a question for follow up, but as a pleasant observation and I wondered if other users had the same experience.

HansEverts

I may have spoken a bit too early.

I opened the database this morning and was prompted that the database was not correctly closed the last time. I am pretty sure having closed it normally last night. But anyway, I did a diagnostics, which gave an error for metabase and than got stuck in Optimizing. That took so long, I aborted it (the logfile is attached). The second run came out clear (logfile also attached).

Next time I started IMatch it took again 2'20". That logfile is also attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

The first diagnosis shows

ERRORS were found in database file structure!

Which is no good. It usually indicates a hardware failure or transmission failure of data from memory to the hard disk.
Sometimes you see this over problematic network connections or fishy external disk connections / USB sticks.

I see a (handled) crash in the time line view, which is not good. The crash apparently happens when IMatch initializes the panels / toolbars, using the third party UI toolkit. Do you use the Timeline View in the standard docked state or do you have configured it to automatically hide?

Can you repeat this load performance test with Debug logging enabled under Help > Support?
I see that the 45,000 files database takes 140s to load, but the slowest part is usually loading the metabase tags which took only 6 seconds.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

HansEverts

'Load performance test'? You mean start and quit, but then in debug mode?

Here is the log file.

HansEverts

After a few normal starts, here is the log file of a long one. The one after was normal again.