Option to reverse sort-order in Folder View

Started by DaweP, July 29, 2013, 05:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaweP

in Mantis as #950

Although several aspects of Folder View (Media & Folders) can be fully customized, I am missing one important option to "reverse" the sort order of folders. I do not mean sorting of thumbnails (which is excellent), but just the order of the folders. The "Sort mode" in Customization window does not enable it.

I use ascending numbers in my folder names based on the photo session, e.g.:
[dp0456__descriptive name] ...which is older
[dp0457__descriptive name] ...which is newer
[dp0458__descriptive name] ...which is the most recent

This results in placement of the most recent folders in the very bottom of the folder view. This is quite cumbersome, the navigation requires a lot of scrolling.
If the sort order could be reversed, my recent folders I am working with intensively would be at the top and the work would be much easier.

Please, please, please, make it optional to reverse the sort order of folders. Pretty please :-)

P.S.: If there already is such option, please accept my apology. I have not found it... :-(

BenAW

Not what you request, but imo the Folder Filter could go a long way in reducing your scrolling.
eg a filter on Include and using dpo45 would give show only the last 10 folder in your system.

Another option is to Bookmark your recent folders, just next to the Folder Filter

DaweP

Quote from: BenAW on July 29, 2013, 06:51:42 PM
Not what you request, but imo the Folder Filter could go a long way in reducing your scrolling.
eg a filter on Include and using dpo45 would give show only the last 10 folder in your system.

Yes, this helps, but I need to display some other folders (with different name) at the same time. I think there is no need to bother you with much details... Basically, a few folders into which new photos are downloaded from the camera before the photos are indexed and further processed in IM5.

Quote from: BenAW on July 29, 2013, 06:51:42 PM
Another option is to Bookmark your recent folders, just next to the Folder Filter

This is a better way. However, I still think that the suggested feature is more simple and straight solution.

David

DaweP

With every build I hope to see the option in Media & Folders -> Configure window to reverse the sort order of folders...
I know that everyone thinks that his/her ideas are the greatest and should be implemented as soon as possible... But in my (inexperienced) opinion, this feature should be very easy (trivial) to implement compared to the others, yet would significantly improve my work.
I know there are ways how to work around this - e.g. what Ben AW suggested - but still, the simple reverse would be most efficient approach. So I pretty please.... ;-)

JohnZeman

It would be kind of a kludge but if you enabled friendly folder names you could set the friendly names of your folders so they sort the way you want.

DaweP

Not a bad idea... But I'm afraid this would, in principal, make things even more complicated... I use the naming system for some good reason and do not find renaming the folders to "friendly names" the right way to go. The option to reverse it solves it all - once and forever.
I believe that reversing the order is a common function of all folder managers, IMHO...

Mario

Incidentally, I did this for build 122. It was one wash up with the requested feature to add a new filter to show only folders.

So your wish was granted  ;)
I hope you like IMatch 5 enough to buy an upgrade license once it becomes final    
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook