External tool favorite to import photos

Started by ubacher, September 29, 2020, 03:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

The photo import function in windows I find very reliable and flexible.
The Windows 10 interface to use this (via PHOTOS) is however less flexible.
To use the old (WIN 7) interface you can run the following command (in a batch file):
"C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe" "C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoAcq.dll",PhotoAndVideoAcquire "

You can also set up a external tool favorite in Imatch to start this.
I show this below:

PS: On my Nikon Z6 I can store a copy of the batch file running above import command on my memory card.
When I connect my memory card to the computer I have it (=autoplay) open the explorer. I then just double click
on the batch file to start the import. On another Nikon camera I tried this did not work.

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Quote from: ubacher on September 29, 2020, 03:55:42 PM
When I connect my memory card to the computer I have it (=autoplay) open the explorer. I then just double click
on the batch file to start the import. On another Nikon camera I tried this did not work.

Whenever you format the memory card though you will then lose the batch file.. perhaps this is what happened on the other Nikon camera?

ubacher

I hardly ever format a memory card - I see no need for it.
I have other files of importance on the card: The camera settings and
a jpg file giving info as to who is the owner and how to contact.

In the case of the other Nikon camera I tried I seem to recall that windows saw the card
differently (not as a plain USB memory) and did not show me the .cmd file.

Mario

To "simplify" things for the layman, Windows hides more and more technical aspects from the user.
Like file extensions in Windows Explorer or sometimes non-expected files on smart cards and phones.

I've looked into the Windows 10 API for downloading files from cards. Maybe to integrate it in IMatch.
But this is such an over-engineered and very restricted at the same time heap of components that I was immediately discouraged from using it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Quote from: ubacher on September 30, 2020, 07:30:24 PM
I hardly ever format a memory card - I see no need for it.
I have other files of importance on the card: The camera settings and
a jpg file giving info as to who is the owner and how to contact.

In the case of the other Nikon camera I tried I seem to recall that windows saw the card
differently (not as a plain USB memory) and did not show me the .cmd file.

There are so many reasons to format a memory card... the most important being that every camera handles folders and structures differently.  If you switch between cameras (especially between manufactures), it is very important to format.  Some cameras even write small databases to the memory card that don't get deleted until you format.. they are just taking up room for no reason.  Another reason, clean up of bad sectors that are identified and blocked.  Finally - you should get faster write times because of sequential writing... if you are just deleting files, your card will become a fragmented mess after many uses.

Using a freshly formatted card ensures your own camera is able to successfully write to the card - again, especially important if you are using the same cards between multiple cameras.