IMatch installation Windows Start menu

Started by JLGF1, July 28, 2020, 11:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLGF1

The Start menu can get out of control quickly.  It might be nice if the associated Imatch programs were installed in one folder?

Mario

Windows 10 does strange things with applications added to the START menu. The old folder concept seems to be no more, and Windows re-arranges the START menu as it sees fit. Probably some AI.
Even Office on my PC appears as individual entries, not combined under Office anymore...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Windows 10 only allows a single subfolder level.
So you can have a level "Photools.com" and below that the links to the programs, but not other folders.

herman

Quote from: Carlo Didier on July 29, 2020, 11:48:24 AM
Windows 10 only allows a single subfolder level.
So you can have a level "Photools.com" and below that the links to the programs, but not other folders.
When my memory serves me well that is how it used to be some versions ago, but apparently users could not find IMatch then because it was stored in the Photools.com folder and not in an IMatch folder?
Enjoy!

Herman.

JohnZeman

I very rarely use the Windows 10 start menu.  Instead I have shortcuts to IMatch and to all of my preferred programs in folders and subfolders in the Windows Favorite Links folder (which is on my Taskbar).

Jingo

Another set of options... I use Listary to quickly launch any installed program plus an array of websites and other "shortcut" items I've setup.  It is free.. and wonderful!  I have assigned the Pause/Break key to quickly launch it... with a 2-3 keys (Pause + "IM"), I can launch Imatch, etc...

Another program that gets installed on any Win 8-10 machine... Classic Start Menu.  Loads of options to hide the Win 10 tiles and make the menu look like Win 7...

Hope this helps!

JLGF1

I have IMatch on the task-bar, so I don't invoke it from the Start Menu (or anything else for that matter).  I just dislike installations that plop 5-10 items at the root level of the Start Menu (ie the clutter).  Also, if the app asks about the Start Menu folder (IMatch doesn't), I often drop them in my Photo (menu) folder rather than let the top level menu get bloated, which it quickly will if every app does that.

As far as not finding IMatch, almost all of my apps offer to make (one) shortcut on the desktop.  I can see if the menu folder was Photools.com it might throw people off as some probably forget the connection between Photools & IMatch.

I still use (and donated to) the excellent Classic Shell Windows extension, but that author stopped supporting it almost two years ago and it's getting cranky with recent Windows updates due to tighter security rules, etc.

stzari

The easiest way for me to open an application (for which i have neither desktop nor taskbar shortcut) is to just press the windows key and start typing the name of the application.
Thus <Windows key> i m will show Imatch selected and <Enter> will then open it.

Stamatis

Carlo Didier

I also prefer to install as little as possible. There's lots of ways in W10 already to quickly access applications.

I have the most used pinned to the taskbar. Very quick and easy, nothing to install ...
One caveat: If you pin the shortcut from the start menu to the task bar, it may get invalid upon an update of the application (frequent with iMatch). You may prefer to create a new shortcut directly to the path of the executable and pin that to the task bar. Then you only have to change that for a major version update where the path actually changes.

PaulS

Since I do not want all IMatch items at the Start Menu root level, I have created an IMatch folder and move the shortcuts there after each install.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\IMatch

loweskid

I use Stardock Fences....

https://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

I hardly ever touch the Windows start menu (except for shutting down the computer).

JLGF1

Quote from: loweskid on July 30, 2020, 11:23:48 PM
I use Stardock Fences....

That's pretty cool (very low-cost, too)...never had any weird side-effects of any kind?

loweskid

Quote from: JLGF1 on July 31, 2020, 04:56:24 AM
That's pretty cool (very low-cost, too)...never had any weird side-effects of any kind?

No, no problems at all, though I'm still on version 2 - I haven't tried the latest version yet.

You can take a 'snapshot' of your desktop once it's all set up then if anything gets screwed up you can restore it back to how it was.

Jingo

I used to use Stardock products "back in the day".. but they because system resource hogs so I gave them up and moved on.  Listary uses hardly no memory and it can a ton of things.. like FPV, it is the first thing I install on a new PC along with a clipboard handler like Ditto and screenshot/color picker like ShareX.  Freeware/shareware programs that are just fantastic additions.  Of course, I wouldn't use a computer without XYPlorer (not free but well worth the price)... Variety is the spice of life and that is why there are options for all!!

JLGF1

Quote from: PaulS on July 30, 2020, 03:51:41 PM
Since I do not want all IMatch items at the Start Menu root level, I have created an IMatch folder and move the shortcuts there after each install.

Good tip.

Aubrey

Quote from: Jingo on July 31, 2020, 03:08:13 PM
I Listary uses hardly no memory and it can a ton of things.. like FPV, it is the first thing I install on a new PC along with a clipboard handler like Ditto and screenshot/color picker...
I use a product called launchy
Hit alt space bar then type in a couple of letters for name of program and then enter.
I've been using it for over 10 years a colleague originally showed it to me. Works a chsrm

I'm going to try listary today....
Aubrey

Jingo

I used to use Launchy... but switched to Listary.. similar ideas.. I just like the quickness and low memory usage of Listary.  Enjoy!

JLGF1

I just got around to trying out Listuary.  I have to agree it's amazing!