Edit location > keyword > Show list of thesaurus entries

Started by busbahnhof, April 26, 2020, 08:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

busbahnhof

When in the window edit location, I can enter keywords to be assigned when selecting the location for dedicated pictures. Maybe it is possible to add a dynamic list of the keywords already in the thesaurus (similar to the keyword entry field when editing a person).

Many thanks.

busbahnhof

No one in need of this feature? Hard to believe ;-)

Mario

IMatch can automatically create keywords when you reverse geocode your images, for example to add country, city and location also as keywords.
Create keywords from this expression
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on November 16, 2020, 10:59:40 AM
IMatch can automatically create keywords when you reverse geocode your images, for example to add country, city and location also as keywords.
Create keywords from this expression

I do exactly this, very convenient.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Tveloso

I think the OP might actually have been requesting to give the Keywords field in the Edit Location dialog:

...the ability to reference the Thesaurus...similar to how the Keywords field in Person Editor does as we type:

I can see where this might be useful. 

For those that store the Location Data also as Keywords, the Keywords generated by the expression specified in the "Create keywords..." field in Preferences->Geo&Maps probably necessarily needs to be comprised of variables only.  But for the "fixed" IMatch Locations, the Location Keywords can simply be given directly as text...and there may be other non-location-related keywords (some WHAT keywords) that the given fixed location will always show - and it may be these that referencing the Thesaurus might help in entering.

On the other hand, it might be a bit of work to provide that ability in the Edit Locations Dialog (since that uses different technology from Person Editor)...and since, like the static nature of the Location itself, the configuration for it is also quite static, it might not be worth doing that development work, to save the user just a little bit of one-time work.

I used to have both the "fixed" IMatch Locations, and the Geo&Maps config, generating Keywords per the Location variables, but based on recommendations in other posts here in the community, I have since removed those, and no longer "re-state" the Location info also in Keywords.  But this post has led me to re-examine whether any of my configured Locations might possibly be able to provide some "WHAT Keywords".  My initial impression is no, but I might have to take a closer look...
--Tony

busbahnhof

Tveloso is right. I have some (hierarchical) keywords in mind (which don't have to do anything with country - region - city - ... ) I want to link with the location. These keywords are already there in the Thesaurus, but I don't remember down to each single letter how they are written. So if I guess at this point, I have a very good chance to mess up my structure of keywords.

Mario

How many locations do you have? 50? 100? 500?

What I would do is to add the keywords you want to assign with a location to a file in the Keyword Panel.
Then copy the keywords into the clipboard (maximize the keyword editor so the keywords become text, select with Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C), open your Location and paste the keywords into the keyword field. They will automatically have ; as a separator.

I could add a thesaurus lookup into this secondary dialog, but this takes at least a work day or more. Implementing the dialog, the logic, testing, documenting, translating, updating the help topic, new screen shot(s) etc. Since this was never requested before, I doubt many users see the need for direct thesaurus lookup in this dialog...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook