GPS data missing from most files

Started by rgdudley, March 30, 2020, 08:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rgdudley

I have been lookingthrough by pictures and sadly I found that most that I had taggest with gps data no longer have that data... as far as I can tell.

Most of these pictures were taken with cameras that did not have a built in gps... I used the program RoboGEO to write that data into the images.  That information has been with my images since about 2007 or 8... through many upgrades of iMatch, but now it seems to be gone!  I am not sure when it disappeared, but within the past year or so I believe.  Any suggestions as to how I might regain that data.   :(    I not that, more recent, images from iOS devices still have their GPS data.  ???
R

Mario

GPS data is stored in the image itself.
Unless you overwrite the data, how could it go missing?

IMatch imports the native GPS data and also maps it into the corresponding XMP tags on import.
On write back, IMatch maps the XMP GPS back to the native GPS data and also stores the XMP.
Not much that can go wrong there...

I'm thinking about a way to actually remove GPS data within IMatch, but there is nothing that springs to mind which could wipe GPS coordinates accidentally.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

The first thing you should do is check those files with the Metadata Analyst app. I don't think there's anything IMatch could/would have done to delete GPS location data.
John

Mario

Good idea.

The Analyst will show us what's contained in the file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

mopperle

Could it be that you edited those files with another program, which removed the GPS data?
E.g. Lightroom removes those data when exporting to jpg and you have set the corresponding option.

rgdudley

It turns out, I believe, that no GPS data was lost!   

I misremembered when I started using my GPS device.... it turn out I didn't start using it until mid 2008 and files after that date that should have GPS data do have it.

Thanks for all your suggestions
R

Mario

So all is well.

You can add the missing GPS data easily enough with the IMatch Map Panel!
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

Quote from: rgdudley on April 01, 2020, 10:15:41 PM
It turns out, I believe, that no GPS data was lost!   

I misremembered when I started using my GPS device.... it turn out I didn't start using it until mid 2008 and files after that date that should have GPS data do have it.

Thanks for all your suggestions

Glad to hear you got your GPS problem sorted out. As Mario says, the IMatch Map Panel makes it easy to add GPS coordinates to any of your images. Highly recommended!
John