Problem with face recognition

Started by jcldl, March 13, 2020, 06:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcldl

I have 12000 persons already recognized, it was with lightroom. I have new pictures with face not recognized and I want use Imatch face recognition.
But even after reading help I cannot find How to recognised new faces. If I  right click on a picture with a face to treat, and after   click on Persons and face  and after "detect..create ...associations" but With  any of 4 the  propositions  nothing happens.
Where is the mistake?

Under database tools there is "Convert face annotations from Imatch 2019". I tried and waited 10 minutes with "Converting face Annotations". Nothing.
How and when use this utility?

As you can see face recognition in Imatch 2020 is a big problem for me. If anybody can help! Thanks a lot!

I hope you can understand my poor english.
jcldl

Mario

Have you read the People Help topic?

People

and especially Running Face Detection

This explains how to tell IMatch to detect faces in your images. After this step has completed, you can assign persons.

If you have let Lr write the face data to XMP, IMatch has already imported the faces it when it imported the images.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jcldl

Yes that's exactly what I did. But if I saw in "info and activity" exactly what is written in the "help", the face is never recognized. I have never a  blue 'speech bubble' icon in the File Window.
Even if the face is big and alone in the picture
jcldl

Mario

Strange. When you open the image in the Viewer, are there no face annotations (green rectangles)?
What happens if you do this and click on the smiley icon in the Annotation Panel to run a face detection in the Viewer?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jcldl

No there is no green rectangle at all when I open the viewer.
What is the annotation panel? I do not see how to open it.
Thanks
jcldl

Mario

And when you run a face detection (Smiley Icon in the Annotation Panel)?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jcldl

Thanks
jcldl

jch2103

Quote from: jcldl on March 13, 2020, 07:40:27 PM

In View mode, right click for a context menu and choose Display Options/Toggle Annotations Panel.
John

Mario

Or press and release <T> then press <A> within a second.
The keyboard shortcuts of all Viewer commands are displayed in the context menu (right-click into the Viewer window to open the context menu).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jcldl

Now after clicking on the smile face I have the green square with a question mark.
If I click on the question mark I have only a grey square with nothing on it.
jcldl

Mario

So the face detection works in the Viewer. One result.

But the Person Selector is empty?
Do other IMatch apps run OK? Is this a new installation? Did you use IMatch before?

Please also attach a ZIPped copy of the IMatch log file, in case IMatch reports warnings or errors there. See log file
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jcldl

Yes the person selector is empty.
No it's not a new installation. I use Imatch for years. So it's an installation over Imatch 2019.
I tried a new database with some pictures, and recognition worked .
Imatch works OK.
jcldl

Mario

Other apps working?
Log file?
Maybe there are errors or warnings logged.

The Person Selector is a normal IMatch App so if it fails, other apps should fail to.

I'm offline now until tomorrow (German time).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jcldl

Excuse me I sent the wrong file!
jcldl

Jingo

Lots of Warnings and "failed to add face for file" in the log for Mario to review.... BTW: interesting folder path structure you have there with the []'s....

Mario

This database is damaged or there was a real bad problem when migrating the database from IMatch 2019.

IMatch reports that mandatory objects and schema tables in the database are missing.
This looks like the database was not converted but somehow just "opened" in IMatch 2020.

Did IMatch reports problems during the migration (when you first opened the database in IMatch 2020).
Did your PC shut-down during the process?

This database cannot be used.
None of the database objects required for face detection or events exist.

Please start over with your IMatch 2019 database and convert it again into the IMatch 2020 format by opening it in IMatch 2020.
Keep a close look for error messages.
Retain the IMatch log file (see log file) from that session so I can see if and which problems IMatch is reporting when migrating your database.

Frankly, I have not seen this before.
The database entries are created when IMatch 2020 opens the database for the first time. I have no idea how they all can be missing...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jcldl

OK Mario and thanks.

What I did.

First I restored database with a backup from a month ago.
Imatch 2020 update database.
I found 10300 (Total 60000) files with yellow pencil.
After clicking on it then  reloading metadata and clicking on yellow pencil again , I have 473 files with yellow pencil.

But as before not any   people recognized in "people view" as before if i open viewer and click on smile face I can recognized person. But if I click on the question mark I have a gray square with nothing on it and I cannot enter new name.

When I use database diagnostic it says everything OK

Do you think I should try with an older backup to see what's happening?
Thanks a lot

jcldl

Mario

The first problem I see is that IMatch reports that apps are installed multiple times.
It seems that you have somehow managed to damage your installation by restoring an old version of IMatch apps and configuration on top of the IMatch 2020.

Have you perhaps used Pack & Go?
If so, this was a mistake. Older Pack & Go packages are not compatible with newer IMatch versions. Especially not with such a massive upgrade.

Did you not read the warning about Pack & Go on the Upgrading to IMatch 2020 instruction page?

If you have indeed used Pack & Go to restore settings and apps from an older IMatch version on top of IMatch 2020, you need to sort this out or all kinds of things in IMatch will not work correctly.
This is most likely also the reason why the Person Selector in the Viewer does not work. Resources will also be wrong etc.

Do this:

Close IMatch.
Rename the folder C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6 to something like C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6.BAK
Re-install IMatch 2020 to re-create this folder with the correct layout and all apps in place as required.

Copy the contents of the folder C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6.BAK\config to C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\config to get your configuration back.

Then start IMatch and attach the log file from that start. This will show me if there are still problems with your installation.

NOTE:

Pack & Go is not a backup software. It is designed to transfer settings and databases between computers easily.
Consider all Pack & Go packages as outdated if you have installed a new IMatch version. Especially a major upgrade like IMatch 2020.
Re-create your package after installing a new version of IMatch if you need to transfer settings and databases to another computer.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jcldl

I did what you say. But I have for choices: repair or uninstall imatch 2020. I choose repair and imatch is now installed in imatch 2020 repertory and the other installation is Imatch 2020-back. And I copied confir in programdata
Should I uninstall Imatch2020 before, but keeping" config  " or leave as I did?
jcldl

Mario

Uninstall. Then install again.
This will not affect your database or settings.

I still see the error about duplicate applications in C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\webroot\imatch\apps so it looks like you did not rename and re-create the folder.
Please follow the instructions above, starting with
Rename the folder C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6 to something like C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6.BAK

If you do this and re-install IMatch, the apps will be in the proper folder and no longer duplicate.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jcldl

I have still the problem of "duplicate application ID detected"

Could I uninstall Imatch 2020. Reinstall Imatch 2019, make a restore from an old "pack and Go" from one month ago and reinstall after Imatch 2020 over 2019?
jcldl

Mario

Do not use Pack & Go. Did you again use Pack & Go? For what purpose?

When you re-install IMatch 2020 it will create the C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6 new.
And you have your settings backed up in the .BAK copy of that folder and you can copy it from there into the new created folder.

And your database has already been restored before.

DO NOT use Pack & Go again.
If you really have to, DO NOT overwrite the original IMatch 2020 files with it. Use the option to restore the Pack & Go package into a separate folder and copy the files needed from there manually in Windows Explorer. But I don't think this is needed. Unless you have to restore your database again. Then restoring into a separate folder and copying over the database manually will prevent Pack & Go from overwriting the newly created IMatch 6 folder.

Don't forget to rename/delete the folder before installing, as explained in my reply above.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jcldl

Don't you think That removing completely imatch 2020, reinstall 2019 and the use and old Pack and go from 1 month could be more sure. After that I could reinstall Imatch 2020 on it and update.

Because even after copying the old config on the new one problems where identical. 
jcldl

Mario

When you rename the folder, re-installing IMatch 2020 will create it fresh. With the right apps in the right places.

The settings database (what you refer to as config file) is unrelated to that.

The warning in the log means that IMatch has found the same app in two places.
Some apps in IMatch 2020 have been moved to other folders (and many existing apps have been updated). Hence it is important not to restore an old backup (of any kind) on top of the new folder structure. This will produce duplicate apps in multiple folders. Not good.

At least this is the only reason I can think of as the reason for the problem I'm seeing in your log file.
And I only know that because another user had the same problem, after restoring an outdated pack & go backup on top of IMatch 2020.

If you uninstall IMatch, rename the folder, re-install IMatch no duplicate apps can occur.
Then copying the configuration file back using Windows Explorer restores all your settings.
Your database remains untouched bis this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jcldl

I remove everything from Imatch 2020. I reinstalled 2019 and  installed a restore from 2 months ago. Then i reinstalled imatch 2020. And now i have peoples in people view. I am not sure that all people are there but imatch works now. thanks a lot for your help
jcldl

mcv64

Sorry to reply to such an old topic but I had exactly the same problem and I think I've figured out what the problem was (is) so it seemed useful to reply to this topic :)
I started with the trial edition, filled the database without about 10.000 photos, face recognition worked as advertised and all was fine.
Then I bought the registered version, downloaded and installed it and got the same problems as the topic starter, no names to choose from or enter when there was a new face, the people tab stayed completely empty and face manager kept showing a black screen and could not fully start.
I've tried also everything mentioned in this thread, completely fresh install, restores, using a copied database, database diagnostics etc. etc., nothing helped.
I even did a fresh install with a newly created database, still the same problems so now I knew at least it was not the database.
Then I checked the process viewer to see what was happening and I noticed several sub-processes of IMatch running Chrome instances. And there was the cause of the problems, Chrome and most likely the caching mechanisms of Chrome.
So I emptied the cache of Chrome for the last week and yes!, everything worked as before! :)
Just might be good to know for others who might run into the same problems.

Mario

Thanks for posting your experiences.

IMatch uses one or more IMatchChromiumHelper processes to isolate and sandbox the browser instance for each app.
The Chrome cache (used by the browser Chrome) and the cache used by the integrated Chromium browser engine in IMatch are separate.
The browser cache for IMatch is in C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\browser and IMatch empties this cache automatically when a new version is installed or when you enable the option to always clear the cache on IMatch shut-down in the application preferences (usually only needed by app developers).

Not sure what clearing the Chrome cache did.
Did you maybe also reboot your system (often helps)?
Anyway, if it worked it worked. That's what counts.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

mcv64

Thanks for the reply, yes, rebooted several times also, really tried everything till I cleared the cache, then suddenly all worked again. I was trying several things, then closed the imatch software, then emptied the cache, started imatch again and it worked.
But i agree on what you said, if it is a separate cache and just using an chromium engine should not be connected then to the chrome browser.
Anyhow, it works so I'm happy about that :)
Thanks again :)