Migration scope -- Migrate DB from 2017/3.x or Start with Fresh DB in 2019?

Started by WebEngel, September 25, 2019, 09:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WebEngel

Hi guys,

I am running 2017 and just purchased the upgrade to 2019.

I believe I can still import my 2017 DB into the latest version.  However, does this make sense, or is a fresh DB the better way?  For Operating Systems, people often recommend a fresh install.  How about Imatch

My system is based on some Imatch 3 or even earlier DB, all of them migrated to 2017.  It seems pretty slow to me, and Mario once noticed from the log how slow it was.

#1 question is what settings the upgrade would save:
Categories – this is must!
Metadata layout – well, is 30 min work
Buddy settings – another 15 min work
Keywords – not used
Metadata templates – can recreate from representative files, 15 min work

So the categories is a must, but they can be exported and re-imported through XML.  For the rest, I could live with having to recreate the settings from scratch.

#2 question is what do gain with a fresh DB that cannot be tuned with the old one.

Have I missed anything?  What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
martin

jch2103

I believe that upgrading an IM database has many fewer issues than upgrading an OS (no issues with drivers, incompatible programs, etc.), although Mario is most informed about this. Issues of slow response may have more to do with hardware than software.
John

Mario

QuoteI believe I can still import my 2017 DB into the latest version.  However, does this make sense, or is a fresh DB the better way?

IMatch 2019 will open your database and convert it in-the-fly during the first open. Nothing special about it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

WebEngel

Quote from: Mario on September 26, 2019, 08:53:39 AM
QuoteI believe I can still import my 2017 DB into the latest version.  However, does this make sense, or is a fresh DB the better way?

IMatch 2019 will open your database and convert it in-the-fly during the first open. Nothing special about it.

And this is also what you recommend?  A fresh DB and importing all Pics is not superior?

Mario

QuoteAnd this is also what you recommend?  A fresh DB and importing all Pics is not superior?

No. Why? There would be no benefit, just a waste of time.

I (and many IMatch users) have databases originally created with IMatch 3!
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on September 26, 2019, 09:10:58 PM
I (and many IMatch users) have databases originally created with IMatch 3!

Yep, me too and the database from IMatch 3 works perfect with IM2019.  :)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus