Can I sort 16 bit psd files somehow?

Started by kirk, September 11, 2019, 12:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirk

Rather any file having  16 bit color depth?   psd , tiff or whatever.   And show 16 bit in the thumbnails ?     Maybe 32 bit floating point too?

Mario

IMatch supports about 30 sort criteria plus attributes. But there is no sort criteria for the bits per pixel (BPP) of a file, if this is what you are looking after. Sorting files by this criteria is never used.
You can easily filter by it via a Metadata Value filter in the Filter Panel, if this helps. Usually PS stores the BPP in in the EXIF BitsPerSample metadata tag. Check in the Metadata Panel using the "Browser" layout.

There is no standard file window attribute for BPP. Not often needed.
You can access the BPP via the corresponding variable {File.BPP} so you can display it in a custom file window layout if needed.
See File Window Layouts for more information about customizing the information you see in the File Window.

If sorting by BPP is really important for you, you can copy the BPP value into an Attribute (via the Attribute Import App in the Import & Export panel) and then sort by that attribute.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kirk

Quote from: Mario on September 11, 2019, 12:30:47 AM
You can easily filter by it via a Metadata Value filter in the Filter Panel

Does it mean I have to put this BPP tag into Metadata of each psd file manually or it's somehow already with psd files usually?     I tried to search for "BPP" in "tag selector" of panel layouts  but it doesn't find anything.

Metadata panel in Adobe bridge shows  "bit depth" 16  right below dimensions and resolution of "File properties"  so I assume it should be there already, right?

ps, Oh, I figured it out, Had to search for "BitDepth"   instead of "BPP"   

Mario

As I mentioned, the variable {File.BPP} gives you the bits per pixel. In case of a PSD file with 16 bits per channel and 3 channels this is 48.

The proprietary Photoshop header tag {File.MD.Photoshop::Header\11\BitDepth\0} contains the value "16" for the 48 bit files I have checked.
Note that this is a proprietary Adobe tag and it may be different for different Photoshop versions.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kirk