Conditions under which Reverse GeoCoding takes place

Started by Tveloso, August 20, 2019, 03:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tveloso

I recently set the Automatic reverse geocoding parameter to yes in Edit->Preferences->Geo & Map, thinking that this would perform the GeoCoding operation at ingest (for all files that already contained GPS coordinates).  I had completely overlooked the HelpText for that parameter at the bottom of the dialog when I turned the option on. 

In fact, according to that HelpText:

"...automatically performs reverse geocode on files when you set or modify their GPS coordinates in the Map Panel"

...the behavior that flag represents is not intended to be applied at ingest, and the auto reverse geocoding happens only when updating (adding or changing) GPS coordinates via the Map Panel, on files already indexed in IMatch.

Mario, would it be very much work to add the "at ingest" behavior?...(I suppose a new configuration option would be needed to allow the user to explicitly select that behavior - rather than changing the "meaning" of the existing parameter, so as not to negatively impact users that have that flag set, and unlike me, actually understand how it's supposed to work).
--Tony

Mario

Yes this would. It would make ingest unpredictable because every incoming file would possibly cause a lookup to an external service via web interfaces.
This would cause unpredictable timing, cost (if you exceed your monthly free quota), maybe overload of the free GeoNames.org service used by many etc.

If you want to geocode your files in an automatic manner, use one of the many specialized applications available out there.
Else, just select the files you want to revers geocode and press Ctrl+M,G or go to Tools menu > ...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Tveloso

Thank you Mario...just thought I'd check.

It's certainly easy enough to do a Ctrl+M,G on the newly indexed files.  Thanks again.
--Tony

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on August 20, 2019, 08:29:26 AM
Yes this would. It would make ingest unpredictable because every incoming file would possibly cause a lookup to an external service via web interfaces.
This would cause unpredictable timing, cost (if you exceed your monthly free quota), maybe overload of the free GeoNames.org service used by many etc.

If you want to geocode your files in an automatic manner, use one of the many specialized applications available out there.
Else, just select the files you want to revers geocode and press Ctrl+M,G or go to Tools menu > ...

I would still find this an interestig option. I often do that with Downloader Pro which I use to transfer images from the camera to the PC. Saves a lot of time later. It's one of the reasons I use Downloader Pro.

Mario

Which reverse geo-coding service do you use? All have rate limits which limit how many requests can be made per minute. Much lower for the free services (GeoNames.org).
IMatch has to pause several seconds after each geo-coding request to stay within the limits. This would badly ruin the overall 60 to 200 files per minute throughput when ingesting files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

I'm using the free geonames.org service.
But I very rarely import as many images at a time that it would cause a problem.
Also never had an issue when using it with Geosetter.

I did think of maybe buy one of their service levels to support them though.

Mario

I was not aware that GeoSetter can automatically reverse geo-conding files when you import a new folder.

For IMatch this is currently a no-go, too many changes, unknown consequences for the background processing and throughput.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on August 22, 2019, 08:59:05 AM
I was not aware that GeoSetter can automatically reverse geo-conding files when you import a new folder.

I use Geosetter when I o manual geocoding.

lbo

Quote from: Carlo Didier on August 22, 2019, 10:57:48 AM
I use Geosetter when I o manual geocoding.

If I remember correctly, reverse geocoding in Geosetter needs even more keystrokes than IMatch.

IMatch has the best map and geocoding support I've ever seen, and it is invoked easily after the initial ingest.

Besides, Geosetter can't be used with recent Sony RAW images, development stalled (last beta 2018-04-14).

Oliver

Carlo Didier

Quote from: lbo on August 22, 2019, 04:16:36 PM... IMatch has the best map and geocoding support I've ever seen, and it is invoked easily after the initial ingest....
Oliver

Usually, Downloader Pro does the geocoding for me upon copy from the card to the PC, when it combines the images with my GPX track logs.
Ingestion in iMatch is only done later in my workflow, after culling and first basic processing.