How to synchronize selected categories and selected @keyword categories

Started by JoseGil, August 26, 2019, 11:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoseGil

Hello
Can IMatch be configured so that when a file is assigned a category, its corresponding @keyword category is also automatically assigned?
I have searched for it in IMatch Help and in the forum, but I have not been able to find the answer.
Thanks in advance

Mario

What is a corresponding  @Keyword category?

When you assign a file to a @Keyword category, IMatch also adds the corresponding keyword.
When you assign a keyword to a file (e.g. in the Keywords Panel), the file shows up in the corresponding  @Keywords category.
This is all fully automatic.

@Keywords is a special data-driven category which mirrors the hierarchical keywords in your files.

Assigning files to other categories does not impact the keywords of the file, and hence has no impact on @Keywords.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JoseGil

Thanks Mario.

Now I see that in Imatch v3 I had a script to export photographs that copied the categories to the ITC field "Supplemental Category". That's why I thought that each category was automatically related to an @keyword category. Now I understand that no.

Having the categories copied in @keywords categories is going very well for me to recover them from external applications. I am thinking of creating a Service App so that every time a category was assigned to a file, that category was also assigned as hierarchical keywords. Do you think it's right or is there a better way to export categories as metadata?

Mario

1. The IPTC field "category" has been discontinued 10 years ago.
2. Always use the modern IPTC and IPTCExt metadata in XMP.
3. Mirroring @Keywords categories in legacy IPTC categories will not work too well. For example, there is a 64 character length limit.

4. All keywords assigned to your files are already and automatically 'mirrored' in

a) ITPC flat keywords (in XMP)
b) Legacy IPTC keywords (if your files have legacy IPTC data still)
c) XMP subject (flat keywords)
d) XMP hierarchical subject.

Why would you want to copy them somehow into yet another field in your metadata?
Even write an app do to so?

Do you have clients who still can't handle XMP metadata and require you to write keywords in IPTC categories (instead of IPTC keywords)?

Or do you have files which have legacy IPTC metadata and you did use categories to store keywords?
In that case, have a second look at Edit > Preferences > Metadata and check the "Legacy IPTC categories to keywords on import" option and how you can apply it to your files.
Press <F1> in that dialog for help.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Mario, I think he wants to copy categories to keywords:
Quote from: JoseGil on August 26, 2019, 02:40:51 PM
... copied the categories to the ITC field "Supplemental Category"...

Mario

There is no need. IMatch can do that automatically if the corresponding option is enabled under Edit > Preferences > Metadata. See my explanation above.
This is a feature in IMatch to salvage usable info from legacy IPTC data and bring it into normal keywords.

Frankly, dealing with legacy IPTC data is a mess. Character set limits. String length limits. All kinds of rubbish from 20 years past.
I have long ago removed legacy IPTC data from my files - and I live happier because of it. In the (really) rare situation where I need legacy IPTC data in a file, I can copy it with ExifTool from IPTC. This has happened maybe 3 times in the past 5 years.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JoseGil

Ok. Regarding old data, I have understood. But, How should I tag the images from now on if I want an external application to read the categories?:
- Should I forget about categories and tag with @Keywords_categories?
- Or is there a process that automatically copies categories to keywords? In this case, I could continue tagging with categories
Thanks again!

Mario

Quoteexternal application to read the categories?:

Which external application is reading legacy IPTC categories?
The IPTC categories (still alive as a zombie in the photoshop:SupplementalCategories XMP tag) were never related to keywords. They were meant for a totally different thing.
If you need them, you can just add this tag to a Metadata Panel layout in IMatch and fill it with whatever you want.

QuoteOr is there a process that automatically copies categories to keywords?

Yes. I've explained that two times above. During import. You can make IMatch copy categories into keywords.
But IMatch will not synchronize keywords into IPTC categories - because deprecated, old, No MWG mapping etc.

As the IPTC committee puts it:

Category: As this metadata element was earmarked as deprecated already for IIM 4.1, it was not adopted. However, this data is still synchronised with the XMP property "photoshop:Category", and hence available for future use – but outside the IPTC Core. For migrating from Category codes to Subject Codes please read the Guideline for mapping Category Codes to Subject NewsCodes section below.

Supplemental Categories: As this metadata element was earmarked as deprecated already for IIM 4.1, it was not adopted. However, this data is still synchronised with the XMP property "photoshop:SupplementalCategories", and hence available for future use – but outside the IPTC Core.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JoseGil

Sorry for wasting your time, Mario. We are not understanding each other    :-X

Quote from: Mario on August 26, 2019, 06:02:28 PM
Which external application is reading legacy IPTC categories?

I'm talking about 'normal' categories (https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#cat_basics.htm), I'm not talking about IPTC categories. I don't need import IPTC Categories.  :)

Quote from: Mario on August 26, 2019, 06:02:28 PM
The IPTC categories (still alive as a zombie in the photoshop:SupplementalCategories XMP tag) were never related to keywords. They were meant for a totally different thing.

I got it and I won't use IPTC Categories again. Thanks a lot!

Once clarified that I speak about normal categories, I reformulate the question:

How should I tag the images in the future if I want an external application to read the categories? Should I forget the categories and tag directly with @Keywords_categories?

After reading it all again I understand that the answer is YES, isn't it?  ;)

Mario

IMatch categories are stored in the database. They are not accessible for external applications.

Since IMatch 5 back in the day, keywords are for exchange with other applications. The @Keywords category hierarchy comfortably integrates keywords into the IMatch category system. Best of both worlds.

IMatch categories have many features impossible to do with simple keywords. Hence both (categories and keywords) exist side-by-side. Use keywords if you want to add keywords to your files (sic!) and for data exchange. Use IMatch categories on top if you need formulas, Alias categories, data-driven (smart) categories etc.

If you have massed of files with categories but no keywords: You can use a Metadata Template to copy category names into keywords. This has been discussed and explained several times, I'm sure you can find it quickly here int he community.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator