Filter Frustrations

Started by JohnZeman, July 14, 2019, 05:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnZeman

Sometimes the filter really frustrates me.

For example tonight all I wanted to do was to filter a file window of only 22 files for descriptions so I could edit the files with matching descriptions.

Instead of the results I expected I see this.

I realize my screenshot doesn't show everything that could be configured in the filter but everything else is unchecked.

Ran a database diagnostics but it found no problems.

Other times I've used this same filter and have had expected results but not tonight.

Don't know if this is a bug, user error, or what, so I'm posting this in the general forum.

Mario

This is a protection feature.
The value filter needs to load all unique values for the selected tag in the database (in order to calculate and fill the list for the current scope).
If there are more than 10,000 different values, it stops to avoid excessive memory and resource usage (and runtime).
This is for technical reasons, for filters which have enabled filters for values not in the current scope etc.

I would just type a part of the description into the search bar in the File Window toolbar. This will show all files matching the description quickly.
Or use the Metadata Filter, which can do the same search but does not need to produce a list of values.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

Ah, I did not know that.

What I was trying to do used to work for me but then a few months ago I added my original raw files to my database which literally doubled its size and that's when my problem started.

I'll use other methods to filter my descriptions from now on.

Thanks Mario. :)

Mario

Having 10,000+ different descriptions is not uncommon. This is not a good use case for this particular filter.
You're much faster using the search bar in that case.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

Why does IMatch have to analyze the description field for each and every file, if there is only 22 files in the file window being displayed right now.  It would seem that just the entries for the scope being considered now (22 files) are what's currently important. 

Mario

Technical reasons, filter persistence of active elements in the filter which are not in the current scope, database optimization etc.
All that could be optimized, streamlined, improved when I would donate a couple of days. But there are so many things to do in IMatch that I have to prioritize things.

This filter works unmodified since IMatch 5. Occasionally, a user has an issue with how it works (e.g. trying to filter on date and time, which means basically one value per file in the database) and then a support ticket comes up here in the community or via email. Since this is so rare and there is always an easy work-around ("Just use the File Window search bar") , it's not worth spending time on it. Telemetry data tells me the same. Not often used, and the 10,000+ elements warning has been logged only a few times over the past couple of months.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on July 15, 2019, 09:11:22 AM
... and there is always an easy work-around ("Just use the File Window search bar") , it's not worth spending time on it. 

... and to this sort of users I belong.
I use the File Window search bar, the app "file finder" and in the last time the app "Fancy Search" from Andy.
Though it takes sometimes longer to get a result, these searches are the most convinience way for me.  :)

(Accomanied from a good workflow with all the clever IMatch-collections)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus