Question about Design & Print

Started by Frank, April 16, 2019, 06:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I want to create a photo book and now I am planning to use Design & Print of Imatch.

One thing which I do not understand right now is, how do I add the pictures to the APP?

What I understood so far is:
1. If I have selected a couple of images than start the APP and they will appear in there.
2. If I have saved my changes and close the APP than select new images and start it again, than these images are displayed.

But this is not what I am looking for.
I would like to have somehow the possibility to see in imatch directly which images are already used in wich book. Because while you create a book you will see if an image fits or not when entering it into the book layout.

Therfore I would like to get the option to see which images are available in the book design und which are already within a container.

Is this possible?

I did not find it in the help.

Frank

sinus

Frank, to be honest, I don't quite understand what you want.
There are 2 ways to use templates from Design & Print:

- Standard
- Dynamic

Since Dynamic always works with all selected images automatically, you are probably talking about standard templates.

In principle you choose images within IMatch.
Then you start Design & Print.

There you choose a template. All images you have selected in IMatch are shown below. You can drag them into image containers from the template.
You can drag an image into several containers or not use an image at all.

If you save the template, this image selection will reappear next time.
If you have selected new images in IMatch and the old ones appear in Design & Print, you can simply "overwrite" the old images with the new ones by dragging a new image onto a container (although there is still an old image).

I have no idea if this will help you. But in general the help of Design & Print is very good and should help you to understand everything.

My attachment from Help (https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#impexp_print.htm) shows the images below within Design & Print, where the green number shows how often an image was used in containers. The first image was used 2 times, the middle one never and the last one 11 times.
This means that the last image was used 11 times in different containers.

Finally to your question "One thing which I do not understand right now is, how do I add the pictures to the APP?" I would say:
You select always pictures in IMatch and use them inside Design & Print.

I have attached a second image. You see a standard template, what I used (for testing) some days ago.
The crosses are from this day, each cross is used 2 times.
Now the two plants on the left are the two new images, what I selected now inside IMatch and they are now not used.

In the last attachement I used them. I dragged and dropped them on some old images. As you can see, the left plant I used 2x, the second once.
In contrary one cross is used not more (replaced by the plant) and one cross is used only once.

If I close the template now, this new arrangement will be saved.
I hope, this helps you a bit.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

When you use a standard template, you create it from a set of images (which are shown in the film strip below the editor).
Images used in your D&P document are marked in the film strip with a green badge and a number, This number tells you how often the photo was used in your template.
You can later open the same template with another set of images to add them to your book. The images already used will of course remain in your template and also show up in the film strip.

IMatch does not keep track which images where used in any of your regular templates. This information would not be relevant for many users (that's my guess, because it was never before requested). In addition, just remembering which file were used would only go half way. Because an image in your database could be used by several Design & Print templates, and maybe several times in some templates!

If this creates problems for you, why don't you setup your book first as a category? For example "@All|Photo Books|Summer Vacation 2019"?
Put all the files you want in your book into that category.
Select all files in that category and open your book template in Design & Print.
Then you have all files again in the film strip at the bottom, and D&P indicates which files have already been used with the green badge.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Frank

Thanks for the reply.
I think about the solution Mario proposed. Maybe it is a way for me how it can work.

Frank