Incremental face annotations

Started by tokumeino, May 05, 2019, 05:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tokumeino

As far as I could understand, if your pictures already have XMP regions with people names, then iMatch either 1) doesn't touch anything, or 2) add new regions on top of the existing ones, or 3) delete everything and replaces by new face annotations with "?". I wish something more subtle for (2).

When new annotations are computed over older ones, it is very likely that they overlap a lot with the regions already in the metadata. I think that it would be smart to compute an overlapping score and based on that score, replace old regions by new ones but with the already defined people names in the existent metadata, or add new regions when the overlap in not significant.

This way, a formerly incompletely tagged picture could retrieve already tagged names for newly accurately computed regions, while untagged faces could be added as "?". It would help to refine already existing people tags.

Mario

How do you use face annotations?

Do you manually add new annotations in the Viewer to images which already have face annotations produced by IMatch on import?
if so, you can just add the faces missed by your prior "tool" in the Viewer, you don't need to run IMatch's automatic face annotation (which could produce double annotations).
The Viewer does not run a face detect if the file already has face annotations. It just adds a new, empty, face annotation.
Either move this new face annotation manually, or Ctrl+C copy an existing one, move it to the new face and change the tag.

I did not implement a "face annotation" overlap detection/replacement by intent, because it would be complicated, never 100% correct anyways and I saw no real use case for this.

If you use the "Face Annotations" command on images which already have face annotations, you can choose to keep existing (and maybe add dupes) or remove the existing annotations (or skip images with already existing face annotations).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

tokumeino

Hi, I'm currently trying iMatch and to be honest, I still cannot figure out how to type/enter names (still searching in the doc).

The typical use case adressed by my FR is : before buying iMatch, I have set faces for people, but incompletely (on a picture with multiple people, only a few faces have a defined XMP region, others beeing simply unknown, without any defined region). I now want to be a bit more comprehensive and add missing annotations to the other faces, but without having to retype already set annotations. I have hundreds of pictures to tag so no, I won't draw boxes manually.

This feature is of absolutely no use for anybody having used iMatch and iMatch only since the very begining. But there are newcomers with a history, as well as people planing to use mix tools.

Mario

To manually review and update face annotations, use the The Viewer.
The you can see and edit existing face annotations produced by IMatch on import from the XMP face regions.

Click on the face icon in the Annotation panel (<T>,<A> in the Viewer to toggle it) . This allows you to manually add new face annotations without changing existing annotations.

To change the tag associated with an annotation, just click on the annotation and press <F2> or double-click the annotation.

See Annotations for more information.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook