Metadata template fails - improper date format?

Started by jch2103, March 31, 2019, 11:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jch2103

I'm trying to use a Metadata Template to copy XMP::photoshop\DateCreated\DateCreated\0 to two QuickTime date/time tags: QuickTime::MediaHeader\1\MediaCreateDate\0 and QuickTime::MovieHeader\1\CreateDate\0. See screenshot of Metadata Template.

If I do this tag copy manually using a Metadata Panel, it succeeds. But if I try to use the Metadata Template, I get the attached error message in the ExifTool Output panel. It looks like there's a formatting mismatch during the attempted tag copy.

Why does this happen with the Metadata Template but not with the direct copy and paste in the Metadata Panel?
John

Mario

IMatch variables return date and time in your local format.
ExifTool expects ISO standard. Use format: in your variable to create the correct format. See the variables help topic for explanation and many examples.

This is also explained in the Metadata Template help topic: Use the Right Format
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Yep. I realized that just before I saw your response... That's what I get for too much multitasking.
John

jch2103

Is there something unusual about the format of QuickTime date/time tags?

They, alone of the date tags I've seen, show up in IMatch metadata panels as '0000:00:00 00:00:00' when empty (other date/time tags show as blanks when empty). I saw a reference in ExifTool documentation to possible use of time zone data, but I'm not sure if that's relevant here.

This might have something to do with the difficulty I'm having setting up a metadata template that successfully copies date/time tags to certain QuickTime date/time tags even when using appropriate date 'format' {[tag]|formatYYYY:MM:DD hh:mm:ss}.

John

Mario

IMatch shows what ExifTool has extracted from the file.
Check your files in the ExifTool Command Processor.

There are many QuickTime formats, and many variants of how metadata is stored there. Cameras write invalid values, software breaks the data, different Apple products produce different partial records etc. It depends on each individual video and how it was created / edited.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook