Fully Qualified Path >= 255 Ignored

Started by Darius1968, October 25, 2019, 10:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

For whatever reason, Imatch is not ingesting files, for which the fully qualified path is or exceeds 255 characters, though Windows 10 has no problem displaying them in the File Explorer.  Anyway to fix this? 

Mario

254 characters is the maximum length for a Windows file system path. Unless the application and all 3rd party libraries used have been explicitly designed to handle path names longer than 254.

IMatch uses WIC codecs, 3rd party image, video, audio and processing libraries. ExifTool. I have no idea if all these 3rd party libraries have been designed to handle special Windows path names longer than 255 characters.
IMatch has no implicit limits, but I cannot speak for the 3rd party libraries used by IMatch.

It is usually wise not to stretch the limits to this extent. Why do you use such long path names?

You don't provide much info.
Does IMatch log errors or warnings in the log file, for example?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Darius1968 on October 25, 2019, 10:47:33 AM... though Windows 10 has no problem displaying them in the File Explorer ...
Yes, but you may not be able to rename, edit or delete them anymore ...
We often have this problem in our company where I work. As Mario says, those are xetremely long paths and can usually be avoided.
Very often they come from redundant folder names (like "\Data\Invoices\Invoices 2018\Invoices 2018 paid\" oir such) and from save emails where the sometimes long subject is, by default, used as the file name.
We try to educate users to avoid this. There can sometimes be workarounds., but best just don't do it.