Applying rating to files in the viewer

Started by Mees Dekker, January 31, 2019, 10:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mees Dekker

Like many of the users of IMatch, I use the viewer for culling my initial ingest. I delete some files, leave some files untouched and apply an initial rating to some others. This is done by hitting "1" of "2" on the numeric part of my keybord. Viewer is set to "auto advance". Works like a charm. Of course all files are assigned to one or more categories.

When I select a category later, it will contain files with all sorts of ratings, varying from "no rating" to "5". When I use the viewer to do some further culling/rating, my problem kicks in. Let's assume that a certain file already has a rating of "1". When this file is displayed in the viewer and I hit "1" again, the rating will go back to "0". But if I hit "2" the rating will be changed to "2". Or if the rating was already set to "2", hitting "1' changes the rating to "1".

The effect of hitting a "rating number" therefore depends on what rating the file already has. It either applies the new rating or removes it altogether. Although the status bar displays the current rating of a file, you constantly have to shift the focus of your eye from the file to the status bar (and vice versa) to be sure that you do not accidently remove a rating.

It would much easier and more intuitive if a rating would be set to whatever rating key you hit, regardless the rating the file already has. So the rating should be changed to the new rating or the existing rating should be confirmed.

ubacher

+1

I am also bothered by this. I also learned the trick of hitting an unwanted rating first and then the wanted one.
(But I do forget at times)

HaWo

Hans-Wolfgang

Mario

This behavior is exactly identical to how the File Window operates.

Setting a rating via the keyboard works as a toggle. If one file is selected, applying the same rating as the file already has removes the rating. Setting another rating sets that rating. If multiple files are selected, the rating of the focused file controls how the rating of the other selected files is changed, applying the same rule as for one file.

The same applies to all other collections, including label, pins, flags, dots and bookmarks.

When I remember correctly, I have implemented this toggle function in IMatch 5 (iunchanged since then) based on customer feedback and comments.
I surely could change the toggle function in the Viewer, but then we should also change it everywhere else, from the File Window to the Rating & Label controls in the MD panel etc.
Quite a change, and I don't know how many user experiences this would break. Changing something that is in place for several years is always a bit risky...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

HaWo

Hans-Wolfgang

Mees Dekker

Did not realize yet that this behaviour is also present in other windows and other collections (since I don't use those very often). But that makes it all the more preferable to change.

Imho it is rather unlogical to hit "1" and then get a new rating of "0". "1" should always result in "1"; "0" should result in "0". "1" should never result in "0". Same is true for all other collections.

The way it works now, you sometimes get what you want, sometimes (but then again: not always), exactly the opposite. This toggle function makes the result of a certain key somewhat unpredictable. And in the case of multiple files even more so, hitting "1" could result in "0" for a file that has a rating of "2", just because the focused file has a rating of "1" (by the way: I tried this and this works as described by Mario but only in the file window and not in the viewer). Any key should have a consistent behaviour and result.

Of course there will a number of users that is accustomed to the way it works now. But I'm sure people can and will get accustomed to a consistent/logical way of working much faster then they get used to an unlogical practice. Probably a small step for them.

As a side remark: In Lightroom CC there is no toggle function implemented (as far as I could check). Removing the toggle function lowers at the same time a treshold for ex-LR CC users to move to IMatch  :)

Therefore: I  strongly prefer to remove this toggle function.

Mario

Well, I'm always open to suggestions. I create IMatch for the users, after all.
I can live with both. I think at the time of IMatch 5. Lr/PS had the toggle feature. Or a local tester group asked for it. I don't remember anymore. Too long ago.

3 users have so far commented on this. I'd say let it sit for a couple of weeks ans see what other users think.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

I'm sure there are many situations where one scheme is preferred over the over.  Some will say: if I already have a rating - you should never remove the rating  while others will say - a toggle is good because I use ratings to temporarily filter and then change the rating again.

I could live with either way TBH...

Carlo Didier

I agree with Mees. It would be more consitent with many other applications if it were not a toggle.

JohnZeman

+1 I also agree with Mees. 
I usually hit 0 to remove ratings but I have to wonder how many ratings I've inadvertently removed over the years by using the current system.

Mario

Since this was one of those feature requests which immediately attracted feedback from users and some discussion, I looked carefully into it.
And it was actually quite easy to change the behavior, because of how the IMatch architecture separates operations & processing from the GUI. In most cases, at least 

I have now changed the toggle to a set operation for ratings and labels (not for the other collections, which require a toggle) in the File Window and the Viewer, and documented it in the release notes.
I don't think that this will cause any problems or catastrophic disruption in workflows. If users complain and want the old way back, I can make this an option.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

akirot

Sounds good - sometimes I stumbled over the toggle.

ColinIM

I was thinking of adding a +1 ... but now I'll just say thank you Mario for this change  :)

HaWo

Hans-Wolfgang

harrylah

I just saw the release notes for 2019.2.2 where the change in behavior was implemented. Now, I must say, I wasn't aware of that change request (my fault), and I don't really like it. When I browse through many ingested files quickly, I usually have the right index finger over the cursor buttons and the left one over the numbers to rate something. One - throw away, 2 - great shot etc. When I accidently press a 1 and want to change it back to 0, I don't need to find the 0 button but simply press the 1 again. Much faster.
As I see the validity of both approaches (toggle/stay), I'd propose a choice in the Preferences on the intended behavior. That way, everybody is happy.

Mario

Hi

you can never do it right for all users. Maybe its only you. Maybe there are some others...
But this FR is now closed and archived.

If you want to make this an option (sigh, yet another option) please copy your text into a new feature request.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mees Dekker

Hi Mario

your last post was adressed to me, but I was not the one to make the comment or propose to make it an option.

Mario

Quote from: Mees Dekker on February 22, 2019, 09:43:40 AM
Hi Mario

your last post was adressed to me, but I was not the one to make the comment or propose to make it an option.

Oops, sorry. Strange. I removed the reference to your name.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator