Automatic backup to a synology NAS

Started by frlindla, February 20, 2019, 08:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frlindla

Is it right that I can use Imatch to automatically backup my photos to my NAS? For macs you have time machine, but are there easy solutions here?

jch2103

I and others here use Macrium Reflect for backup (photos plus other files). Mario has pointed out that Pack & Go is really meant for moving an IMatch database between different computers. Although it creates a backup of your IM database for this purpose, it doesn't back up your images or do other things that are part of an overall backup strategy.
John

Mario

IMatch is no backup software. I suggest you look into specialized software like TrueImage or Macrium Reflect for that purpose (if the built-in backup in Windows is not sufficient for your purposes).

The Pack & Go utility included in IMatch has been designed to make transferring IMatch databases and settings between multiple computers easy and fast. But it is no replacement for a proper daily backup of your entire computer system.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

herman

Quote from: frlindla on February 20, 2019, 08:30:24 PM[...]For macs you have time machine, but are there easy solutions here?
Assuming you are using Windows 10 there is File History, a concept similar to Time Machine.
Enjoy!

Herman.

frlindla

Sorry for my late response:) But thank you all!

Is it right that TrueImage or Macrium Reflect isn`t online backup?

Perhaps it`s wise to have a online backup too, like Backblaze?

Yes, I have Windows 10, so I can use File History.

Mario

I think both companies offer online backup.

This is not for me. I would not trust some remote company with my data. I use OneDrive occasionally but only with local encrypted files. Nothing from me goes into any cloud without me staying in full control and encryption in place.

You can use TrueImage or Macrium easily with Dropbox, OneDrive or whatever. Just backup in the Dropbox or OneDrive folder. If you prefer a cloud-based solution and you have 100% trust in the vendor, that's also fine.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

If you have a Synology NAS and want also online backup, you can use apps like "Synology Hyper Backup" or "iDrive" to directly backup from your NAS to various cloud storages and you can in both these apps provide a private encryption key so that all information is encrypted locally before being sent to the cloud. Neither Synology nor iDrive (or anyone else) will have the key to decrypt your data. Just keep your encryption key(s) in another safe place!
Should be reasonably safe.