XMP:exif/DateCreated Tag

Started by PandDLong, May 11, 2021, 01:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PandDLong

In sorting out the intriguing - and frustrating - world of timestamps and timezones; I learned one of my former phone cameras populated a XMP:exif segment with 3 data points including this tag -- and it has a full timestamp including timezone.

I stumbled upon it with ExifToolGUI in trying to land on my approach and process for handling timestamps.  The tag is present in photos that are "direct from camera" as well as those that iMatch has indexed and written-back.

However, I couldn't find this particular tag in the iMatch list of tags so I don't see a way to reference it in a template or variable.

I have attached a "direct from camera" photo (of a rather bland piece of grass) as a reference sample.

How would I access this tag from within iMatch?   (if it is not a supported tag, that's ok too).

Michael

Mario

This tag is not part of the list of tags IMatch imports from ExifTool to fill the corresponding tables in the database.
Querying the list of all XMP::exif tags via exiftool -list -xmp-exif:all does not include it.
So IMatch has no information about this tag and does not present it in the Tag Manager.

ExifTool seems to make this up on the fly (?). Like with all unknown tags, IMatch still imports the data into the database, using the tag id and name as delivered.
But due to the fact that this is not an official XMP::exif tag and is not listed in the official tag list, you cannot see it.

You can still access it via a variable when you know the name {File.MD.XMP::exif\DateCreated\DateCreated}

I have no idea what this tag does, under which conditions it is generated etc. It is not synchronized by ExifTool when the official XMP/EXIF timestamps are modified (date created, date subject created).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PandDLong

Thanks - again - for the great support.

That's all good to know.   The fact that this tag exists before and after iMatch also further proves that iMatch doesn't disrupt tags it doesn't use.

Appreciate the info on accessing through a variable.

Michael