A second line a above/under each thumb for colour-coded categories

Started by sinus, September 15, 2013, 03:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi Mario,
like in my post https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=840.0#new
I have some "troubles" (well, on a high level  ;) ) to work with the colour-coded cats. It is your fault, when you give the users such a mighty tool in the finges, they want more  ;D ;) ;)

The colour-coded line under each thumb is GREAT. But a human usually can really use and distinguish between 5-7 cats, thats it.
The label above is VERY thick and is only one colour.

My idea: why not make first the label simply thinner, it is really too "mighty", this line is too big in contrary to the cats.("erschlägt den thumb")

And then: would it not bee possible to create a second line for the colour coded categories? A lot of work?  I would wish a second line for cats ABOVE each thumb (or as a second line under each thumb).
This way we could use one line for say things, like format, client and the second line for the progress of workflow.

Or, one line for the colour-coded keywords and the second for other stuff.

Two lines, if only so thin like your cat-line is now, would fit still neatly into the design, I think.

I remember, once (uh, some years ago) I asked this for the IM3. But maybe this is still too much work for you, I have no glue about this.

But I guess, IF users had a possibility to use a second line, quite a lot would use it. And I can see, that a lot of users work with colour-coded cats.

Why not give them simply a second line?
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

JohnZeman

Just my 2 cents here.  The label also contains the rating which is why I'm guessing it's thicker than the category bar.  Markus how do you have your file tip configured?  You could add categories to it then if you want more detail about the categories of the selected thumbnail, just hover your mouse pointer over the file tip icon (see screen shot of mine).

[attachment deleted by admin]

sinus

Hi John,
thanks for this, I am aware of this.
My point is, if you have a lot of images and must "flip" over hunderts of images, it is a great advantage, if I can see the most important things on "one look" (quickly scan with my eyes over the images).

Your colour-coded categories are imposant, but honestly, at least me, I could not distinguishes the cats with one look.

I can now not send an image here, because I am on a netbook.
But I try it so:
If you have one colour-coded line like here

clientchoosed - metaedited- imageedited-sent-archived
and I would have some clever colours (grey for done, coloured like red for not done), then I can see with one look (view), if there is a cat not done or missing (for example, if all is grey, but the 4. cat is red, I know, that image is not sent to the client.
If the whole line is grey, all is ok.

But in one line I can only really have an overview, if there are 5-7 colors. Hence I would like to have 2 lines for the cats.

BTW: I guess, Mario could design the label with the stars in it in a way, what would not that "dominant" - but of course this is not a very urgent thing to change, indeed not.
Markus

Mario

I don't think adding even more lines of colors for categories to thumbnail panels will not be useful for many users.

+ You have the rating.
+ You have the label color (The label bar is as high as the rating icon).
+ You have up to 10 category colors.
+ You have three flags.
+ You have four dots.
+ You have four pings, with up to 3 pins at a time.

This makes about 23 'visual clues' you can display per thumbnail.

Not to speak about the up to four header elements and up to sixteen (16) footer elements you can individually configure to display information, metadata and Attributes.

That's a lot of information you can put into thumbnails. If all that does not enough, another row of category colors will not help much either.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on September 15, 2013, 06:31:10 PM

+ You have the rating.
+ You have the label color (The label bar is as high as the rating icon).
+ You have up to 10 category colors.
+ You have three flags.
+ You have four dots.
+ You have four pings, with up to 3 pins at a time.

This makes about 23 'visual clues' you can display per thumbnail.

Not to speak about the up to four header elements and up to sixteen (16) footer elements you can individually configure to display information, metadata and Attributes.

That's a lot of information you can put into thumbnails. If all that does not enough, another row of category colors will not help much either.

First: only to mention: this is only a feature request, nothing really important.

We have a lot of information, yes. But as you write in the help and as you have written very often: the categories of IM5 are unique and something really important thing, what is outstanding.
And the visual representation, with colours, under each thumb is really great. Because it is a VISUAL representation.

The stars and labels are xmp-stuff, means not that flexible like cats.
Flags, dots, pins are very good, but finally not that flexible and powerful like cats.
I can have hundreds of cats, nothing else (dots, pins, labels ...) offers that much possibilities and power like cats. You know this very good, you are the creator of this all (except maybe stars and labels)  8)

If I look at the examples of users, who does upload an image, where I can see some thumb of them, I can see often, that they use coloured cats. That is also, why I think, they use cats very often and I guess, also more than "only" 3 (like flag, dots or pins).

At least in my workflow it would be great, to have two lines for the coloured-coded cats .... but, Mario, you know: no problem for me. If I know, that this will not enhanced in the near future, I will use some other stuff for my workflow, that is why I asked in another thread about the speed and safeness of different metadata, including cats, attributes and so on.

IMatch is enough powerful to offers several way running to Rome, not only one! 8)  ;D

Thanks for listening anyway.
Markus

cytochrome

Quote from: JohnZeman on September 15, 2013, 04:07:34 PM
Just my 2 cents here.  The label also contains the rating which is why I'm guessing it's thicker than the category bar.  Markus how do you have your file tip configured?  You could add categories to it then if you want more detail about the categories of the selected thumbnail, just hover your mouse pointer over the file tip icon (see screen shot of mine).

John,

Your post (especially the capture of your file tip) opens new possibilities. I have played a bit with the tip panel, but am really no xml expert.

Could you give us an example  code for one of your category lines? Would save me re inventing the weel.

The help has some examples but it is limited (too limited for me at least).

Francis

JohnZeman

I'd be happy to Francis.  Below is the code to display the categories as you saw them in my above screen shot.

<Run Foreground='#ffff80'>Categories:</Run><LineBreak/><Bold>{File.Categories.Direct|replace:'==´;pereplace:|== > ;pereplace:~;==<LineBreak/>}</Bold>

If you want to also show data-driven categories as well, use the following instead

<Run Foreground='#ffff80'>Categories:</Run><LineBreak/><Bold>{File.Categories|replace:'==´;pereplace:|== > ;pereplace:~;==<LineBreak/>}</Bold>

Attached is a zip file containing my entire file window tip export.  Note some of the color coding is controlled by Edit > Preferences > Application > Info Tooltip section of preferences.

cytochrome

Ah merci John,

I'll have a happy evening playing with this (and hopefully understanding how it works, cause this is my motivation)

Francis

JohnZeman

Francis you might want to have the help file open as you do. 
In the help just do a search for pereplace, it should take you to the Using Variables page where Mario explains it all.

sinus

Cool, John, thanks also for this.
I will also play with it ... but a bit later, IM5 offers so much to play with it ...
Markus

cytochrome

Quote from: JohnZeman on September 16, 2013, 05:10:45 PM
Francis you might want to have the help file open as you do. 
In the help just do a search for pereplace, it should take you to the Using Variables page where Mario explains it all.

Thanks for the tip John but how would an old frog lost in the mointain ever come to the idea to search for pereplace??

In google it brings "Disparus de Metz : le père placé en garde à vue" about a guy on the run with his daughter!!!

I'll have a look. But starting from your examples and the zip of your whole panel I am doing my thing to my liking. Only problem : I have a cat named Boitier (Body), the Tip displays
Boitier
Boitier > NIKON D7000

How to get reed of the first one? (I know it is misspelled, but can't come up with the correct spelling :(  get rid?)

And thanks for all, saves me a lot of time. And I liked the image of Dad and Mom and family all around.

Francis

JohnZeman

Quote from: cytochromeThanks for the tip John but how would an old frog lost in the mointain ever come to the idea to search for pereplace??

You probably wouldn't just as I wouldn't have if I hadn't known that would take you to the help page you'll need to reference.   :o

Quote from: cytochromeI'll have a look. But starting from your examples and the zip of your whole panel I am doing my thing to my liking. Only problem : I have a cat named Boitier (Body), the Tip displays
Boitier
Boitier > NIKON D7000

How to get reed of the first one? (I know it is misspelled, but can't come up with the correct spelling :(  get rid?)

What kind of a category is that?  Regular category, formula, data-driven, @keyword?

Quote from: cytochromeAnd I liked the image of Dad and Mom and family all around.

Thanks Francis, that was taken in July right after my siblings and I moved my parents into a nursing home.

cytochrome

Quote from: JohnZeman on September 16, 2013, 08:12:27 PM
What kind of a category is that?  Regular category, formula, data-driven, @keyword?

Good question! I didn't bother. It is a data driven cat that I imported from IM3 and who turned to a sealed cat!!

I reactivated it with a Exif::Main\272\Model\0 tag. But this doesnt change anything still

Boitier
Boitier > NIKON DXX

Francis

PS It looks like this. With some rare images the first Boitier is not shown, but I cannot find a rationale behind this