How to update location information in the jpg-file?

Started by aki-bs, September 30, 2018, 10:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aki-bs

I put the country, city and location information directly with GeoSetter into the jpg-file.
For some files, I want to change this information with the help of the Metada Browser in IMATCH 2018.
How can I force IMATCH to actualize this information in the jpg-file?

Mario

When you make modifications in the Metadata Panel or Keyword Panel, IMatch stores this data first in the database. It does not automatically write-back the data to the image file on disk (for performance reasons). You will see a corresponding message, unless you already have deactivated it.

To write back changes of one or more files. select the file(s) in the File Window and click the pen icon next to the thumbnail.
Or use the Command menu > Wriite-back command.

See Metadata Write-back for detailed information.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

aki-bs

The first part works fine and I get the message, that the data will only be stored in the database.
I see the pen and if I click on it. Then my changed location information in the database will be overwritten by the system again with the original value, stored in the jpg-file.

Mario

This would mean that ExifTool is unable to update the existing data in your file for some reason.
Please provide detailed information:

1. IMatch log file of that session.

2. The output of the ExifTool output panel (View > Panels > Output Panel) shown after you clicked on write-back.
Because this shows us warnings and error messages reported by ExifTool.

3. If this is repeatable, a sample image file which exhibits this behavior.

4. Information about how the original file was created, which software was used to produce the initial GPS record etc.

This gives us some info to work with.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

aki-bs

I decreased an image with Irfanview to post it here and to make with this image all further tests. I wondered, that everything works fine.

So I took again the original image with which the location change in IMatch failed before.
I opened it with Irfanview and saved it again. With the save operation, it changed the location to the right value. After this, I can change all values directly from IMatch.

For me it seems, that there is a problem with the original file. The location information for this file has been created by GeoSetter.
On changes Exiftool shows no errors in the output panel. But the image accepts no changes until it has been opened and saved by Irfanview.

Mario

IMatch also uses ExifTool. If the GPS data was written by ExifTool, ExifTool should also be able to update it.
Without an original sample file which exhibits this behavior its hard to tell why ExifTool fails, or which step in the process.

I'm currently 120% busy with IMatch and IMatch Anywhere.

If this affects only one file - forget it. Just re-save in Ps or whatever and be done.
If this affects multiple files and you want to pursue this further, provide a sample image somewhere for download and allow a week or two for me to look at it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

aki-bs

I have this problem with thousands of pictures.

Attached is one of them. Location information from GeoSetter (uses also Exif-Tool).
If I change country from "Spanien" to "Spain", I get the message "Ă„nderungen werden in der Datenbank gespeichert.
If I click on the pen, in the metadata window the country changes automatically back from "Spain" to "Spanien".
In the Exif-Data of the image the change is correct (country = Spain). I also see "Spain" as country in GeoSetter.

So I thing, that Exit-Tool doesn't fail. I got no error message or warning in the output window.
Maybe it´s a configuration issue on my IMatch installation?

It would be nice, if you can have a look on my problem, also if I have to wait some weeks for the result.

Mario

Your attachment contains no metadata.
Please remember that the community software re-encodes files and strips metadata for security reasons. Always ZIP files if you want to keep images intact.

Do you have automatic reverse geo-coding enabled?
In which IMatch feature do you change the country name?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

aki-bs

I have send the image file and the log file by email to you.

I changed the country information in the metadata window.
Reverse geocoding is enabled.

Mario

The file contains this metadata:
[IPTC]          Country-Primary Location Code   : ESP
[IPTC]          Country-Primary Location Name   : Spain
[XMP-iptcCore]  Country Code                    : ESP
[XMP-photoshop] Country                         : Spanien

The metadata in IPTC is different from the metadata in XMP.
This indicates that some software has updated the XMP, but not synchronized the corresponding IPTC data. Not good.

During import, IMatch maps the existing IPTC country (Spanien) into XMP.
The metadata panel shows "Spanien" as the country name.

I now enter the name "Spain" in the Metadata Panel and let IMatch write back the data.
IMatch writes the XMP and then synchronizes IPTC accordingly. The result in the image file is this:

[IPTC]          Country-Primary Location Code   : ESP
[IPTC]          Country-Primary Location Name   : Spain
[XMP-iptcCore]  Country Code                    : ESP
[XMP-iptcExt]   Location Shown Country Name     : Spain
[XMP-photoshop] Country                         : Spain

This is the expected and correct outcome.

Have you perhaps disabled the options in IMatch which automatically map between XMP and IPTC on write-back (Metadata Working Group compliance) See: Metadata 2 or maybe disabled the option to write IPTC to JPEG files?

I guess your "repair" in IrfanView (re-save) just wipes out either the IPTC or XMP data and hence it works then with your settings.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

aki-bs

I made several tests.

Initial (after Geo Tagging with GeoSetter) all sections are identical.

After I made changes with IMatch, the IPTC section has different information as the XMP section.

Attached you see my configuration. Is my configuration not correct?

thrinn

I think the problem might be the "Force XMP sidecar file" option. For JPGs, the XMP information is normally embedded in the file.

Could you check what happens if you use "Use default settings"/"Standardwerte anwenden"? Then IMatch should (on write back) update the XMP record in the JPG itself.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

You have manually configured IMatch to write XMP metadata for JPEG files into sidecar files. Why would you do such a thing?

JPEG files always must contain embedded XMP data. Like PSD, DNG, PNG and other formats. Your custom settings you not only force IMatch to work against standards and common sense, but also waste your time (and mine) - with side-effects like this, which are caused by your custom settings. You forbid IMatch to synchronize metadata on write-back, which causes the problems on re-import.

Please switch IMatch back to default values, then fix the un-synchronized metadata in your files manually. Remove the non-standard and unnecessary XMP files you have created for your JPEG files. Then you will not have this kind of problems.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

aki-bs

Mario; I don't want to waste your time....

I'm using side car files since years with thousand of images, because I don't like that any software writes data into my original jpg- or raw-files and made them maybe corrupt.
GeoSetter for example writes location data into a copy of the original jpg-file. The original jpg-file remains untouched. This method I can accept. Can I configure this also somewhere in IMatch?

In the Meta-Data Option for file formats, I can define "Force XMP Side Car file" for jpg-files or other raw files.
This is my preferred method. I'm not aware, that IMatch can not handle this. Now, I know it.

Mario

1. IMatch uses ExifTool to write files. Billions of files are updated every year with ExifTool, so you don't need to fear anything. And you keep of course backups of all your original files.

2. Match can handle it, but you don't understand all consequences of your settings. And then you face side effects like this, were your settings cause the XMP data in the image and the XMP data in the sidecar file to become asynchronous. Your files contain two XMP records with different data. That's calling for trouble. You have been warned.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

thrinn

Quote from: aki-bs on October 02, 2018, 03:51:44 PM
GeoSetter for example writes location data into a copy of the original jpg-file. The original jpg-file remains untouched.
Yes, you can configure GeoSetter this way. But then you end up with 2 copies of each picture for each write back, don't you? What is the difference to just making a backup of your original files before changing any of the metadata? Then you would also have two versions of each file: One completely untouched, second with all your metadata.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

sinus

Quote from: thrinn on October 02, 2018, 04:41:10 PM
Quote from: aki-bs on October 02, 2018, 03:51:44 PM
GeoSetter for example writes location data into a copy of the original jpg-file. The original jpg-file remains untouched.
Yes, you can configure GeoSetter this way. But then you end up with 2 copies of each picture for each write back, don't you? What is the difference to just making a backup of your original files before changing any of the metadata? Then you would also have two versions of each file: One completely untouched, second with all your metadata.

thrinn, You have been quicker than me.
I thought the same.

A proper backup-system would be the way to go for me instead uncommon solutions, what could (must not) lead to problems.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Jingo

Quote from: sinus on October 02, 2018, 05:04:01 PM

A proper backup-system would be the way to go for me instead uncommon solutions, what could (must not) lead to problems.

+1 for this... and I've been writing metadata into ALL my JPG's (over and over I might add) for over 15 years and have NEVER had one become corrupt as a result. My main backup scheme runs overnight.. all automated while I sleep... write to JPG with confidence!