Folders marked for Rescan

Started by rolandgifford, May 14, 2024, 04:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolandgifford

No significant improvement by removing all of the Filter Panel bars (apart from the stored filter). Perhaps a couple of seconds but no more than that.

Image of folder icons attached. I have Experimental turned on

Mario

The translucent icons with the "Update" blue circle are folders which are scheduled for a rescan since IMatch has noticed a change in the "last modified" timestamp of the folder on disk, or Windows sent a "modified" message.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rolandgifford

Quote from: Mario on May 14, 2024, 06:10:58 PMThe translucent icons with the "Update" blue circle are folders which are scheduled for a rescan since IMatch has noticed a change in the "last modified" timestamp of the folder on disk, or Windows sent a "modified" message.

Odd, it is more than 90% of my folders, most of which haven't been touched (apart from backups) for a very long time. This is a change within the last week. I would have noticed when uploading my current trip photos a week ago.

Mario

Since we are now talking about a totally different thing than "slow load when filter is active", I have split your original thread for you into two threads.

I can only tell you what I see.
Did you experience a crash? Did you forcefully clear the processing queues?
Which other applications do you use?

If this is the state the database comes up with, the "last modified on disk" timestamps of the folders on disk don't match the timestamps recorded in the database. IMatch will enqueue the folders and process them in the background.

Did you make any change to the default settings under Edit > Preferences > Indexing (screen shot)?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rolandgifford

Quote from: Mario on May 14, 2024, 07:12:30 PMDid you experience a crash? Did you forcefully clear the processing queues?
Which other applications do you use?

Did you make any change to the default settings under Edit > Preferences > Indexing (screen shot)?

No crash
No clearing queues
The only other applications used on this PC are Firefox and Windows Media Player

I don't remember making any changes to settings, certainly not for a very long time if I did. Screenshots attached.

I will no doubt have to do a full database rescan to clear this but I'm holding off till you say I should do that

rolandgifford

And Macrium for backups. I have done a backup of all my images within the last week

Mario

Select the top-level folders showing the circle and press Shift+F5 to rescan it.
The log file will contain many AddOrUpdateFolder and AddOrUpdateFile entries, each telling you if there were changes or the folder / file is current.
If nothing was really changed and only the folder timestamp was modified, IMatch will finish quickly. If file timestamps have changed or there are new files, IMatch will update the database accordingly.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

rolandgifford

The initial scan of my "Waiting Sorting" branch (116,000 images) took 22 minutes with several delays of around a minute where the counter stopped. At the end of that there was a message about 6 files followed by a Importing Metadata dialogue for 7439 files which IMatch says will take in excess of 6 hours.

There are 6 files named in the log file from the folder I'm currently working on.

I'm running normal logging and the snapshot I have just looked at doesn't contain any AddOrUpdate strings.

rolandgifford

The 3439 images having their metadata imported is every MP4 file (apart from 12 - which is odd). They weren't flagged as being out of sync before the rescan and I keep very up to date writing back all images requiring writeback.

Hopefully this doesn't damage the data in the database for them.

rolandgifford

The rescan process will hopefully be complete sometime overnight and leave me with a doubt.

The rescan part of the process was reasonably fast with nothing new found as I would expect.

However, all Metadata had been imported from all MP4 and RW2 files (so far as I can tell from displayed file names and counts). All files were in sync before the rescan. I write back regularly as a backup but the key/master data is within the IMatch database. I don't maintain RW2 metadata directly, it is propagated from the JPG master.

Why did the Rescan import metadata from images which were in sync? Has the import potentially changed anything (I don't update metadata anywhere other than within IMatch)? How do I check?