can iMatch move folders out of a folder to retain knowledge of the move ?

Started by Steve01, May 25, 2018, 01:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve01

Hi,
being unable to select folders, and certainly unable to select a drive lette , so as to scan all the folders on my usb HDD, I have resorted to creating a new folder call it 1 then drag drop the folders into it using windows explorer, now I am able to point iMatch to that folder and let it scan. else I would have had to sit here waiting for each folder to scan so as to point it to the next one, no multiple select being possible.

However this will mes up another prog scan where I was able to leave the folders where they normally live.

Can I use iMatch to move the folders back out of folder called 1 and onto the root of the drive ?

then both progs will be happy.

The other prog has taken 8 hours so far and has another 10hrs or so to go to scan the same drive so I was doing a speed comparison incase the drive was faulty, clearly it isnt, imatch winning massively, though the other prog did 69K files in 19 mins on another drive.

Steve

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Steve01

it says...To move a folder, use Ctrl+ X to "cut" it into the Windows clipboard. Then select the folder you want to move the folder into and press Ctrl+ V to insert it.

I have
F drive\folder1\folder A
F drive\folder1\folder B
F drive\folder1\folder C
etc etc

I need
F drive\Folder A
F drive\Folder B
F drive\Folder C
F drive\folder1 now empty..and I will delete it using iMatch.

I select the folders living within folder 1, they go blue, I go ctrl x, then click on F drive (the usb_HDD_009 is still attached) and go ctrl V, but they remain in folder 1   :(

I try for just one folder, again nothing happens.

I try a drag drop and select folder B and drag drop to F drive icon and get a no entry icon.

Steve

Mario

You want to move Folder A to the root folder on drive F.
But apparently the root folder on F: (F:\) is not part of your database. So this cannot work. IMatch can only move/copy from/to folder it knows.

You can add the root of F: to your database. But then IMatch will probably add all sub-folders as well.

Or you close IMatch, move your folders around as needed in Win Explorer, and then re-open IMatch and use the "Relocate" command on each folder to tell IMatch that you have moved the folders to a location not previously indexed by your database.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Steve01

Hi,
I shall use the last method and the relocate command in that case.

iMatch unlike WinExplorer not allowing copy to drive root.

Thanks

Steve

Mario

The "drive root" as you name it is just an indicator that you have added folders from drive F:
IMatch cannot move to such a label because it is not associated with any physical folder. If you would have scanned the root folder on F:\ you could of course move and copy to that. But you did not.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Steve01

When you say the root folder, I cannot select F drive in the browse command with iMatch as it crashes, its never yet allowed selection of a drive letter, gets so far then scan vanishes, I call it a crash, but its a 'cease with no results' in fact.
You said cant do that, need select a folder.
So I created a folder called '1' on the drive at root level and drag dropped my folders to it.

What do you mean by scanning the root folder ?

Steve

Mario

How unusual.

See these tips for good problem reports:

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=22.0

When does IMatch stop responding? How do you try to add an entire drive? Dropping from Windows Explorer? Using the Add Folder command?

Always include a log file (see log file) when you report a problem.

I just noticed that you have posted in the IMatch Anywhere board, but you are using IMatch.
Please always use the appropriate board for your posts. I will move your post to the correct board.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Steve01

Hi, I had this problem of iMatch starting the scan then the scan simply vanishing, no results showed up, and posted the log files but you said nothing to see.

I had been choosing add folder then clicking on drive letter.

You said cant add a drive, need to select a folder on the drive.

You say if I had scanned the root folder, what is the root folder ?

I had F drive and 100 folders at root level, I created a new folder at root level called it 1, then drag dropped the 100 into it, using win explorer, then I launched iMatch and went commands>add or update folder and selected folder1.

now I need to move them back out so they all sit at root level. as other progs know them to sit like that, and not in a folder called 1.

but I cant drag drop them in tree to F.

Regards

Steve

jch2103

I'm not sure I follow all the discussion on this topic, but in general it's a very good idea to limit the number of folders at the root level, as this can lead to performance issue and other problems. As an example, if you have a D: drive, you might want to have a '\Photos' folder (e.g., D:\Photos), under which you would have multiple folders (e.g., folders named by date).
John

Steve01

Hi,
for my dSLR photos I do have one folder and within which are folders by date of shoot.
Another for Mobile phone pics.
Another for pics sent me.
However I also have CAD work, scans, videos, flight sim stuff, loads of other raster and vector files, then there are folders specific to my aviation subject matter, each subject can have a variety of folders from structural plans and manuals to photos from various sources all stored in subject named folders to plans manuals etc etc. soon there are many folders. , I could describe more but its vast. I do not though have each folder at root level, open a folder and then hundreds or more are visible.

I open Msoft accesss, open the access folder and save back to the access folder. I look at D drive and see the start of the folder hierachy of where to save, rather than a folder called everything I ever make is in here.

Another drive is video editing with various project folders and wip folders, another is video capture where there is a folder for video stills, another for tape transfer, at root level, then within them are the various captures. so I do have root level folders but even then there can be many.

I am after one prog for all drive scanning, but to also use for photo keywording, as having to run two progs and scan everything twice is wrong.
As long as the files are logged and listed, icons dont matter. files can be found and opened via native progs.

Being able to move folders out of others and place at root drive level and have it relect the move on the real drive (if attached) is important.

Steve