Unwritten metadata after saving with lightroom

Started by desmooloch, April 01, 2018, 03:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desmooloch

Hi,

I'm using lightrooms face recognition to tag people. But i have a strange behavior:
I make a full metadata rescan in LR. My imatch is linked to the same folder and is up to date.
When i choose "write metadata back" in LR (nothing changed!) and make a manual rescan in imatch i get an "unwritten metadata pencil". But: if i hover the pencil, there is nothing changed. I cannot see any metadata changed (i did nothing in LR).
Why does imatch states there are unsaved changes?!

Best regards,
desmo

Mario

This is hard to tell without looking at your database.
When you write back metadata in Lr it wipes out the entire metadata record and replaces it with whatever Lr has in the catalog for the file.
IMatch then re-imports the file and apparently has found some sort of mismatch or a tag has been updated. Maybe a tag without a human-friendly name or something...

Tip: When you write back the file while having the Output Panel open, you can see which tags IMatch is sending to ExifTool for update.
You can copy the output panel contents into a text file and attach it here so we can have a look.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

desmooloch

Quote from: Mario on April 01, 2018, 06:56:55 PM
This is hard to tell without looking at your database.
When you write back metadata in Lr it wipes out the entire metadata record and replaces it with whatever Lr has in the catalog for the file.
IMatch then re-imports the file and apparently has found some sort of mismatch or a tag has been updated. Maybe a tag without a human-friendly name or something...

Tip: When you write back the file while having the Output Panel open, you can see which tags IMatch is sending to ExifTool for update.
You can copy the output panel contents into a text file and attach it here so we can have a look.

Hi mario, thanks for your answer.
here is the ExifTool output:

----- Runtime: 0,0 s.

Yep, thats all....
The strange part: I do a full metadata rescan in lightroom. NOTHING changed in imatch! I choose save metadata in lightroom and nothing todo in imatch. I have to manually refresh the file in imatch and then imatch thinks there is something to write back. But as you can see from the output, nothing is written.
A bug?!

//edit:
btw: if i change xmp data (faces) in LR and save the metadate, imatch does not recognize the changes. I have to make a rescan manually. This should work automatically or?

//edit2: it needs a few minutes but then changes are recognized. Great :)

desmooloch

Mario

Solution for what?
I work with Lr, Photoshop and Affinity products together with IMatch. No problems at all exchanging data.
All changes done by IMatch to metadata is recognized in Lr after doing a manual re-import (Lr does not automatically import changes, you have to trigger it).

When you write back in IMatch and no fields are listed in the ExifTool output, you did not make any changes.
Change the rating of a file. The file will show a pencil icon. Click on it to write-back.

The ExifTool output will show data like

-overwrite_original_in_place
-charset
FILENAME=UTF8
-m
-use
MWG
-charset
ExifTool={PTETCHARSET}
-ex
-sep

-XMP-xmp:Rating=3
-XMP:CreatorTool=photools.com IMatch 18.6.0.2 (Windows)

If his does not work, there is something really wrong.
Files locked by Lr, a good candidate. But then ET would report that it cannot write to the file or some other error.

IMatch does not wait minutes when it detects changes in the file system.
But it waits at least 20 seconds after the last "change" modification from Windows. That's because of Adobe products which don't write to the original file but write to a copy, then delete the original file, then rename the copy back. This behavior can cause many problems with folder monitoring applications. But Adobe applications are not designed to be cooperative.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook