HowTo for new Data-driven Category?

Started by JLGF1, March 08, 2018, 04:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLGF1

I am interested in creating a new data-driven "View" and wondering if there may already be a HowTo to get started with.  I checked the FAQ but didn't see it.  A search turned up a few "close, but not quite" articles.

What I would like is:

Camera-Make
   ->  Lens

The Std built-in categories, that include the above, are almost there and very useful, but not quite what I'm after.

eg the built-ins are:

~ Lens

~ Camera-Make

as both top-level categories ie not one nested within the other.

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

JohnZeman

Data driven categories are very flexible and powerful.
You can have up to 6 levels where each level is fed by the results of the level before it.
So all you have to do to have a level below your camera make for lenses is to enable the second level and put your lens tag in that level.

And that's just touching the surface of what you can do.

JohnZeman

I should also mention that you could take the default camera make and lens data driven categories and still get the results you want by using them in the category builder.  This of course would be a temporary way to get the results you want, but it's another way.

Mario

QuoteWhat I would like is:
Camera-Make
   ->  Lens

For this you'll need a data-driven category with two levels.
The first level uses the standard tag "Make" and the second level uses the standard tag "Lens".
I recommend to use "Model" instead of "Make" for the first level, unless you only use one camera from each vendor.

For details about data-driven categories, examples and full details on all available option, see the Data-driven Categories help topic in the IMatch help system.

For a example of a multi-level data-driven category, look at the Image|Location category. It uses 3 levels.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

I find that I do not need data driven categories. In your case, if I want to see images only from one camera/lens I would just use
the filter panel to filter for it. If I need to do this often I can create a filter preset. Achieves the same and does not load the system with
the need to automatically update the category every time an image is added. Just want to point this out.

I had a need to distinguish images by camera while browsing: I created a thumbnail layout which showed me the camera model just below
the file name. Another option which might accomplish what you need.

Then there is the statistics app. It will show you lens-used statistics and by clicking on the bar it will show you all the images.

I thought I should mention this since you are new to Imatch and you might not yet be aware of the many option one has in Imatch
to accomplish things.

Mario

Correct. And there is also the Charts Panel, which allows for even more powerful data analysis.

Tip: The Visual Index in the help system (right on the front page) outlines all major feature areas in IMatch.
Very good to get an overview and to dive deeper into areas which are interesting for you.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JLGF1

Thanks for the ideas.  I will look into these, particularly the saved-filter option which may be all that I need.  I eventually want to do lens stats (eg most common focal length) and this gives me some ideas on that, too.

Darius1968

Just my 2 cents worth:  As is already pointed out, the filter panel helps in not creating too much 'clutter' for IMatch, but I've also found that the data driven categories are kind of an extension of the filter panel.  I mean, data driven categories can be reused:  You don't always have to create a new, dedicated category, when you want to achieve a certain unique view, ie. such a category on three levels:  Level 1 - Camera Make, Level 2 - Lens, Level 3 - Camera Model.  This lets you get 'personal' in how you can have your view on your images presented.  And, later on, this same category could be totally re-issued for something totally different! 

Mario

Tip: If you set rarely used data-driven categories to manual update they consume almost no resources. This way you can "prepare" data-driven categories you need for certain purposes, and then update them manually when you need them.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ubacher

QuoteI eventually want to do lens stats (eg most common focal length)

This you find in the stats app. See screenshot attached.