Installer option - no desktop shortcut

Started by Carlo Didier, January 18, 2018, 10:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Didier

I'd like to have the option (as with many other installers) to NOT create a shortcut on my desktop when installing iMatch.
This is probably just a checkbox in the configuration of the installer, so it should be easy to implement.

DigPeter

I cannot see that this would be worth the effort.  It is easy enough to delete.

Carlo Didier

Quote from: DigPeter on January 18, 2018, 02:19:01 PM
I cannot see that this would be worth the effort.  It is easy enough to delete.
It's probably much easier to check that box once and for all in the installer config.
Deleting the shortcut is a nuisance and it's not nice to have it forced on you each time.
That's not "state of the art" nowadays.

Mario

It's more complicated than that. I use WIX to create the installer, and creating a separate dialog for the "No shortcut" option is not that simple. I have no idea about how to do this and by looking at the docs it's not easy. I'd rather not. I you are the only user who has a problem with deleting the shortcut if not needed, I'll keep it as it is.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

If it's really that complicated, and nobody else is complaining, than leave it at that.
But nearly any current applications I use do give the option nowadays.

If I can just uncheck a box during installation, I don't have to delete the shortcut later which always also prompts for admin rights to remove it because it is installed under admin for all users ...

sinus

Quote from: Carlo Didier on January 19, 2018, 08:22:53 AM

Maybe. But nearly none of any other current application, what I use, has such a great and outstandig support and community.
For me personally it is totally not important.

And btw, I use the task-bar at the bottom (win 10) for my shortcuts for programs.
And if I install a new program, most of the programs does not change this icon, I have to delete the icon and put the new there.
This needs much more steps for me to do this, if I have an update for different programs .
Or programs leave some folder there, if I uninstall them or ... state of the art is fine, but a program, what does all properly, is seldom, I think.

Hence overall, for me this behaviour of IMatch is totally not important for me.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Quote from: Carlo Didier on January 19, 2018, 08:22:53 AM
The perpetual professional edition (cheapest) of InstallShield now costs 2,000.- €  + 1,760.- € per year if you want at least Silver maintenance (this means you can ask them questions when you run into problems).
This software is used to create installers and comes with pre-build installer dialog boxes, including one that allows the user to not install the desktop shortcut.
If I can find somebody who covers the cost and at least five years of updates and maintenance (about 2,500€ per year!) I will look again at this product  ;)

This is one of the reasons why I switched to the WIX-based installer. It allows me to create installs for desktop and server products, is fully integrated into Microsoft Visual Studio and I can script it easily for my fully automated build workflow.

WIX has features to implement custom dialog boxes ("Do not install shortcut") but this requires to create a separate component with the resources for the dialog, translations etc. Of course this is doable and I could sit down and learn how it is done. It's just that I don't see why I should spend a day or two with this just for one user. If you are the only user having this problem with the shortcut, I won't do it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Well, InstallShield is a behemoth ... aimed at development companies with big budgets  8)
Good for you that there are still alternatives.