Add option "exclude filename" to search bar

Started by ben, December 14, 2017, 10:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

I would like to ask for an option to explicitly include or exclude filenames and directory names when searching through the search bar.

I wouldn't care if it's a dropdown option or some kind of "advanced command", e.g. "animals filenames:exclude"

I know i could use the filterpanel as well, but the search bar is much more convenient.

Thanks, for considering this.

Ben

ben

Hi,

since no one commented on this, i try to ask the other way around.

How do i search in all metadata fields (e.g. title, description, country, keywords, etc.) for two words that are "AND" connected?
--> "house AND Jon"

That would be easy using the search bar, but unfortunately it also finds files where the searchterm is part of the filename or foldername.
But i want to search in the metadata only.

I tried it using the filterpanel-> Metadata Search -> regular expression but cound't find the right solution
Ben

sinus

Ben,
of course an option more would be mostly fine for me.
But I have no clue, how much work this is for Mario.

A search for words with AND but not in the filename is in my case no problem. The contrary, I am happy, if IM searches also the filenames and the Metadata.
And most users, I think, have not a lot of words in the filename. (I do not know about foldername).

I believe, but do not know, that IM does use the field
{File.MD.photools.com::IMatch\101100\file.name\0}

for filename-searching.

Is this special search, what you want have, realls so often?
Of course you could achieve it with two searches, but I see, that this is a bit akward.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Quote from: ben on December 18, 2017, 11:07:05 PM
Hi,

since no one commented on this, i try to ask the other way around.

How do i search in all metadata fields (e.g. title, description, country, keywords, etc.) for two words that are "AND" connected?
--> "house AND Jon"

I tried it using the filterpanel-> Metadata Search -> regular expression but cound't find the right solution
Ben

For the Metadata Search in the Filter Panel you can just use the contains mode and then search for house AND Jon

You could even write something like (blue AND bus) OR (book AND blue) (see the Search Engine help topic for more info).

Unfortunately, while testing this I've identified a bug - the scope is not applied and this specific combination searches the entire database.
But apart from that, it will do what you want. I have fixed the scope issue already for the next release.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ben

QuoteFor the Metadata Search in the Filter Panel you can just use the contains mode and then search for house AND Jon
Ok, thanks that works.

QuoteUnfortunately, while testing this I've identified a bug - the scope is not applied and this specific combination searches the entire database.
[..] I have fixed the scope issue already for the next release.
Yep, same here. Thanks for the bugfix.

But an option for the search bar would still be great ;-)

Ben

Mario

QuoteBut an option for the search bar would still be great ;-)

Yeah, well. The general trend is to simply things.  Not adding more options.
Which is why the formerly 'normal' mode is now the 'advanced' mode. And why the search bar searches text 'as-is' by default. This is probably what most users expect these days.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ben

QuoteThe general trend is to simply things.  Not adding more options.
You are right. At least here in the forum ask for simple search methods.
That's why i think the split into "advanced" and "simple" was a good decision.

My Feature Request:
I still stick to my FR and ask for an "advanced option" to only search in metadata, thus ignoring folder names and filenames.
I can think about two solutions:

• Adding options into the search field "google-like", e.g.: my-search-term option:metadataonly
  • simplify the current drop-down:

• get rid of the first 3 entries (frequently used tags, everywhere, filenames only)
    • add a new list (e.g. with checkbox selection) where the user can select where to search: Metadata, frequently used metadata, filenames, foldernames

I think, especially solution #2 might be even more intuitive than the current drop down

Thanks for considering this,

Ben

Mario

Your feature request so far did not attract any attention (except from on post by sinus).

I guess there are not many users who use the same 'terms' in file names and metadata.
Hence searching file names in addition to metadata is a 'no problem' for them.
I may be wrong, though. Let's keep this open for a while...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator