XMP::\dc\Subject tag not propogating

Started by jonz, July 15, 2017, 07:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonz

Hi -

I'm having an odd error where when I try to write back versioning metadata the XMP::\dc\Subject tag apparently refuses to propagate. This is only the case on versions where I have a jpg as the master and TIFs as version files. I'm not sure there is actually a problem with the TIF files. It may be that IMatch is reporting that there's metadata that needs to be written back on these versions but actually everything's working - but they get hung up in the metadata queue and I don't see really how to get them out.

Thanks...

Mario

IMatch only works via hierarchical keywords. Only propagate hierarchical keywords in your rules. When the write-back occurs, IMatch copies hierarchical keywords into the flat XMP-subject and optionally IPTC legacy keywords automatically.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jonz

OK so does that mean I should disable XMP Keyword propagation in the versioning tab?

Mario

Usually you want to propagate the entire XMP block. Show us your setup.

Note: Actual write-back is required for most propagation to actually occur! So first write-back, then check.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jonz

Yes, I am writing back. These files stick in the queue as needing metadata writeback, even after multiple writebacks!

So here is my propagation config (which is top in the list) for JPG masters only:

Enabled: Categories, Annotations, Attributes, Bookmarks, Flag, Dot, Pins, Rating, Label, XMP Title, XMP Description, XMP Headline, XMP Author, XMP Authors Position, XMP Caption Writer, XMP Credit, XMP Usage terms, XMP Copyright, XMP Copyright marked, XMP Copyright URL, XMP Instructions, XMP Location Data, EXIF Data (Safe tags only).

I have another relational definition for RAF|CR2|NEF|DNF which is lower in the list and seems to propagate without problem. If the Link Epression for that definition includes jpg|tif that doesn't confuse things, does it?

As I said, when I hover over the pencil icon on the "stuck" jpg masters the message I get is "List of tags to write: XMP::\dc\Subject" and if I write metadata, say for the selected file, the pencil will disappear briefly and then reappear.

I hope this isn't too confusing, I'm trying to describe it accurately but it's complicated.

Mario

This indicates that the legacy IPTC keywords (if any) and the XMP subject and hierarchcial subject in the files ar out-of-sync. We have discussed the reasons and solution for this may times here in the community. You need to get the keywords in order manually.

Show use the keywords in your file.
Use the ExifTool Command Processor with the "List Keywords" preset.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jonz

OK, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I'll look things up.