Keywords: Right Arrow to select from list to add additional items

Started by Jingo, November 28, 2017, 08:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jingo

Hi.. I often find myself adding to longish lists of hierarchical keywords and was hoping this simple idea could be implemented:

1 - Start typing in the keywords panel (ie: Places|USA|Florida)
  2 - When the list of matching keywords displays, arrow down to an item in the list (ie: Places|USA|Florida|Orlando)
  3 - If you hit the RIGHT ARROW, then that keywords becomes active in the Enter new keywords here text box so you can then add to it (ie: Places|USA|Florida|Orlando|Lego Land)

Right now, I find I need to type in a long list of stuff each time.. but if I simple type Florida, hit down arrow and right arrow, I'd be able to add to the hierarchy in one step.  Am I missing existing functionality to do this already?  I know I can add items via the Thesaurus... but this is more of an "on the fly" adding hierarchical keywords thing.

Thx for listening! - Andy.

Jingo

Sad..  :(  no one else thinks this would be useful?  +LIKE?   :-*

blackhead2

Mario

I a bit older versions, pressing <Return> copied the selected keyword from the list into the edit field, Pressing <Return> again added the keyword, or the user modified it before adding it.
This has been changed because it was considerd to slow, picking a keyword from the list should immediately add the keyword.
Now you want to add another complexity, picking a keyword from the list with some keyboard shorcut for editing. How should that be communicated to users, how documented so users can find and use it? I know that it would be helpful for your workflow but...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Well - I guess it would work like this:

a) type in the keyword field begins to display the list of matches...
    1 - Hit ENTER and the first keyword is selected and added to the selected images  (Current Functionality)

2 - Hit RIGHT ARROW and the first keyword is copied into the edit box and your cursor is placed at the end for new keyword creation
       i) if you hit ENTER immediately, the keyword is added to the selected images - new keyword not created (of course)
      ii) if you type and add to the text and hit ENTER, then a new keyword is created and the keyword is added to the selected images

3 - Hit DOWN ARROW and navigate the display list until you find a keyword
      i) if you hit ENTER, that keyword is added to the selected images (Current Functionality)
     ii) if you hit RIGHT ARROW, then the .. see step #2 above

Seems pretty easy and logical to me... but only if other users feel this would be helpful of course.  I run into this a lot in my workflow because of how I add keywords... but, I can change my workflow to build them out in an editor and import them in too... its just sometimes easier to type them in as you run across things.

Thx for listening! - Andy.

Arthur

Exact the same use case we also had in our company.

We had an inplace edit control (text box) in a graphical editor, where variable names could be entered. This control had an intelli sense drop down to support users while typing. The users requested that hiting <ENTER> should immediatly commit the selection in the dropdown without transfering the text to the text box first. But in other use cases the users wanted to transfer the text into the text box without commiting it, because the entered text was a structure variable, which they wanted to extend by a member name before commiting.

What we did:
<ENTER> = commits drop down entry immediatly
<TAB> = takes over text to text box but does not commit

And all were happy. So it seems to be a common problem. The one key for commit for easy cases, the other key for take over for complex cases. The users do understand it. I do not have complex hierarchies, so I do not need it, but it makes sense.

Jingo

Thx Arthur.. yeah... I'm not tied to any particular key.. Tab makes sense as well as a right arrow (which is closer to the enter key)..  as mentioned, I probably should just be adding these ahead of keywording.. but as I go back through my database and find that I didn't add as many specific keywords as I should have - I've been doing a lot of keyword adding on the fly.  Since I tend to use hierarchical keywords for most (not sure why I am doing this either with the flexibility of IMatch) - having to retype 30-40 characters and hope you get them correct is a bit annoying.  This feature would certainly assist me with this process.

Mario

Added to the next release. IMatch supports both <Tab> and <Cursor right> for the 'first' pick and the auto-complete list.
See https://www.photools.com/release-notes/ for details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on November 30, 2017, 11:53:04 AM
Added to the next release. IMatch supports both <Tab> and <Cursor right> for the 'first' pick and the auto-complete list.
See https://www.photools.com/release-notes/ for details.

You're the best Mario.... I continue to sing about IMatch whenever I can!

Mario

Quote from: Jingo on November 30, 2017, 01:17:21 PM
You're the best Mario.... I continue to sing about IMatch whenever I can!
Great. Carry on. There more users the better. Let's bring IMatch into the mainstream  ;D
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator