Date changes when adding a keyword to a filtered group

Started by loweskid, October 08, 2017, 12:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loweskid

I have a folder of 270 files taken over the course of a week.  I want to add the keyword vertical to all the files in portrait orientation, so I've applied the 'portrait' filter from the Orientation and Dimensions panel and selected all the images.

Then I enter the keyword.. vertical ..but as soon as I hit the green tick to save to the database all the dates changed to the same date, which was the date of the last file in the selection.  See image 08.

I have a folder of the same images in tiff format and it did the same thing.  I then tried it with a different set of images and it did the same thing with the jpeg folder (image 10) but not with the tiff folder...! (image 09).

The dates don't change in the metadata panel but of course I haven't written back the data yet.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Update - I've just tried a write-back on two files and they've changed back to the correct date.  So maybe nothing to worry about.

Mario

This seems to be a custom file window layout.
Which layout attribute do you show in the header? Or do you use a variable?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

loweskid

Mario

This timestamp is produced on import from existing EXIF timestamps if available (see EXiF Date and Time in the IMatch help for details).

I don's see how this can change when you change a keyword.
Did the timestamp in the Metadata Panel also change?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

loweskid

Quote from: Mario on October 08, 2017, 12:49:16 PM...Did the timestamp in the Metadata Panel also change?

No - if you look at the first image (...08) you will see the 'Date Digitized' and 'Date Created' haven't changed.

Mario

And this only happens when a filter is active, not in the normal operation mode?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

loweskid

Quote from: Mario on October 08, 2017, 02:32:58 PM
And this only happens when a filter is active, not in the normal operation mode?

Yes, that's correct.  I've keyworded hundreds of files in normal mode and not noticed any problems before.  However, this was the first time I filtered them to select all the files that were in Portrait mode.  I hadn't thought of doing that before now - previously I had just added the 'vertical' keyword on an individual basis as I went through the files.

Mario

I tried to repro this, but could not.

I've created a layout using the same variable.
I've activated a filter to restrict the number of files.
Now I enter new keywords in the keyword panel. No change in the displayed date.
Same when I change metadata or keywords in the keyword panel.

Any specific steps?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

loweskid

No, I don't think so - you seem to have done exactly what I did.

Anyway, if you can't repro it don't waste any more time on it - it seems to correct itself when I write back so it's not a problem.  If I manage to pin it down any further I'll let you know.

loweskid

I've done some further tests today but still can't pin it down - it seems to depend on which file has focus.  I'll do some more tests when I find the time.  However, I have now realised that it does the same thing in normal mode without any filters applied so my apologies for that misleading information.  I hadn't noticed it before though.

One thing I have noticed is that, although the dates in the metadata panel don't change when the keyword is added, they do change after write-back, specifically the 'Date Digitized' where the time has changed from 3:39:23 PM to 12:00:00 AM for some reason.  I've no idea why.  See attached image.

When I hover over the pending write-back icon it lists the tags to write as -

IPTC::ApplicationRecord\keyword
XMP::Lightroom\Hierarchical\Subject
XMP::dc\Subject

Nothing about dates, so should the dates be changing?  This might be irrelevant though, as it does the same thing with files which haven't had the thumbnail date changed.

It only happens if there are no keywords already entered though, so if I enter a common keyword in all the files then write-back, then the date corrects itself and there's no further problem.

Mario

If your files have no EXIF record, IMatch fills the created/digitized timestamps from the "last modified" file system timestamp. This will change of course when you write-back files. Maybe this is the case? That would be normal.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator