Full Title not displaying in IMA viewer

Started by DigPeter, September 24, 2017, 03:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigPeter

In the viewer the title is shortened.  See Attachment - the top, title line has omitted the characters on the end of the line:  "ernina, 4000m".  I cannot find a method of showing the whole title.

This is on my main computer browser, Firefox.  I have reduced the info to just Title & Description.  The Title should read "Panorama over Pers Galcier with Piz Palu, 3900m, left, and Piz Bernina, 4000m".

Image size in viewer is set to medium.

The viewer footer is set as: {File.MD.headline|default:{File.MD.title}}<br/>{File.MD.description}

DigPeter

The top line seems to be set set at 64 characters including spaces.  All titles of greater length are cut short.   The viewer displays description of another file on the second line which is longer than 64 characters.

Mario

This is what I get for a file with an 80+ character title and a 400+ character description:

I reduced the browser window (Chrome) to only 750 pixel:

You are using a default fall-back. Did you check the variables in the VarToy app so check if they are complete?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

That is interesting.  I have an original version and a processed (LR) version of this, and similarly affected files.  The LR versions have shortened Titles, but originals all have the full Title.  so the problem does not lie with IMA.  Good  :)   LR, bad?  ???

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

sinus

I do use LR only for edition the images (raw), but do not do any metadata-editing with LR.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

DigPeter

Quote from: sinus on September 24, 2017, 05:57:41 PM
I do use LR only for edition the images (raw), but do not do any metadata-editing with LR.
Neither do I not edit metadata with LR; this I do in IMatch, then I edit in LR and export back to a different folder.  I will have to test with LR.

Mario

Quote from: DigPeter on September 24, 2017, 05:55:13 PM
That is interesting.  I have an original version and a processed (LR) version of this, and similarly affected files.  The LR versions have shortened Titles, but originals all have the full Title.  so the problem does not lie with IMA.  Good  :)   LR, bad?  ???

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
There are length limits for legacy IPTC metadata. Maybe Lr crops the titles to this maximum-allowed length?  IMatch/ExifTool do not, be intention. This length limit was set 20 years ago and most software does not really care. The legacy IPTC record can be 64K max. If your files still have legacy (IIM3) IPTC, maybe it's time to get rid of it? I have written many posts about this, and why new applications don't produce legacy IPTC data anymore (IMatch sticks to that rule).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: DigPeter on September 24, 2017, 06:10:50 PM
Quote from: sinus on September 24, 2017, 05:57:41 PM
Neither do I not edit metadata with LR; this I do in IMatch, then I edit in LR and export back to a different folder.  I will have to test with LR.

I use an easy approach. I do all metadata-stuff in IMatch.
Before I open a raw in LR, I do store the metadata as xmp-file.

Then raw-editing and lr does only append its lr-etiting stuff. That's it.

What Mario says a post earlier is true: For example Photoshop does shortens some fields on the standard - length, what IMatch does not, at least not for these fields, what I use.

Yes, it is a good idea if you make some tests.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

DigPeter