PLEASE COMMENT: Browser-based Thesaurus

Started by Mario, October 04, 2017, 04:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

This is part of the File Lens feature I'm currently developing for IMatch Anywhere WebViewer. See related posts for more info.

IMatch (and thus IMWS) have a global thesaurus that is shared by all users.
Most people know the thesaurus from the Keyword Panel in IMatch - if not, you're probably wasting time by typing keywords by hand...  ;)

To give IMatch WebViewer users access to the thesaurus I came up with a slightly different concept.
We have to consider smaller devices, we have to consider users working with touch devices (no mouse!) etc.

Below is my current prototype. (Don't mind the colors, this is from my quick-test platform). I appreciate your feedback.

This is how it works:

- You start with the root level.

- To assign a keyword, you click the button.

- To drill-down (see the child elements of a keyword) you use the arrow button (caret).

- The File Lens displays a breadcrumb navigation above the thesaurus.

- This enables you to jump back one or more levels or to the root by a single click/tab.

Here is how it looks (root level, drill down to Mammals, drill-down again). Click to zoom.

Yes, it also works with levels with many keywords. See attachment below..
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

Since nobody complained, I assumed that my design is OK. This is how it looks in the File Lens:

Click for full size:

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Looks good to me... must admit that it is hard to evaluate until I can actually play with it (in Alpha/Beta/Release) and see how it reacts on my TV screen via my Beelink Mini PC.  IMWS works very well now using a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo.. but I've only used it for browsing and not serious keywording/editing so flow from prompt to prompt and image to image needs to be tested to be fully evaluated.

jch2103

Looks promising. Like Jingo, I find it difficult to be more precise until having a hands-on opportunity...
John

Mario

That's the typical problem.

You have to develop it so users can try it and tell you that it does not work 8^o
Mockups only get you so far...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on October 05, 2017, 09:00:26 PM
That's the typical problem.

You have to develop it so users can try it and tell you that it does not work 8^o
Mockups only get you so far...

Agree... when ready - perhaps providing an "alpha" build to a few specific power users might help... I've worked with a few other developers in the DAM field (Daminion/Idimager) and been involved with early prototype testing/screening/feedback... I think this helped the developers as they built features into the product.

Mario

I have a local tester group (photo club).

Problem with beta tests running "in" the community is that it costs a massive amount of time. Writing all the stuff and beta documentation, shipping stuff, explaining stuff... did that in the past and while it worked so-so in general, it sucked up too much of my time. Doing the same at a local photo club with heavy IMatch users is more productive, because we sit in the same room  ;)

I may invite a couple of special users from this community to a closed test, though. In that case I will contact these users via email directly.
Since the design and interactivity of the file lens follows what has already been established in the WebViewer, I'm sure users will feel at home quickly. Of course I expect improvements in all areas, but that can be done easily because shipping web viewer updates only requires uploading a ZIP file :-)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on October 06, 2017, 02:41:52 PM
I have a local tester group (photo club).

Problem with beta tests running "in" the community is that it costs a massive amount of time. Writing all the stuff and beta documentation, shipping stuff, explaining stuff... did that in the past and while it worked so-so in general, it sucked up too much of my time. Doing the same at a local photo club with heavy IMatch users is more productive, because we sit in the same room  ;)

I may invite a couple of special users from this community to a closed test, though. In that case I will contact these users via email directly.
Since the design and interactivity of the file lens follows what has already been established in the WebViewer, I'm sure users will feel at home quickly. Of course I expect improvements in all areas, but that can be done easily because shipping web viewer updates only requires uploading a ZIP file :-)

Yes - makes sense.. I agree that global user beta tests are lots of work and you spend lots of time on them.. .the select user group can be easier and more focused... this way you know the users and you can elicit specific things from them (ie: ask someone to test a specific thing... or get feedback from one specific item).