Search, what am I doing wrong.

Started by Aubrey, May 09, 2020, 01:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

I've been tidying up database keywording etc. Now I'm trying a search that I can't get to work.

I've got the following:
~Who|Family|Mary
~Who|Family|Mary|Paul
~Who|Family|Mary|Peter

Paul and Peter are children of Mary.
Some images have Mary, some have Mary and Peter etc.

I would like to filter so that I only have images of Mary, I can't seem to do this.
I've set up "Keywords" and "Advanced Search"

When I choose "Mary", I get Mary images and Mary with Peter etc. (makes sense).

When I choose "Mary NOT Peter" I get nothing returned.

How do I filter to remove children of Mary?

BTW, I have also tried by dropping into the "Category Builder", with no success.

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Mario

NOT only works when you use the advanced mode in the FW search bar.
Or, search for Mary via the FW search bar and then use a category filter in the filter panel to remove unwanted other persons.
Or, use a @CatDistinct formula.

Use the community search for some ideas. Just search for "@CatDiscint".
This question has been asked and solved many times in the past.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Sorted.

Part of the problem was that some images only had
~Who|Family|Mary|Paul

but did not have
~Who|Family|Mary even though Mary was in the image.

This arose as I am splitting some sibling hierarchical keywords to children keywords

Mario

Did you try the built-in face recognition and people system in IMatch 2020?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

I have been spending most of today with face recognition. (Tons of work to do in garden... :( but once one starts with IMatch it's difficult to stop  ;) )
Once one gets the hang of face recognition works very nicely (needed to refer to manual a few times even after reading through people section completely). I like the way that one can also update keywords and have ages in photo. I expect no other amateur DAM has the age feature (you ought to be patenting your ideas)

Unconfirmed faces was not clear to start with:
I selected person and then filtered with person and unconfirmed faces by quickly going through images checking this person was correct.
At the same time I checked other people were correctl labelled in an image.
Then selected confirm persons. The person in the filter was confirmed but not others. I was not aware that this would happen. I had thought it would confirm all.

However, this is perfect as one does not have to concern oneself with other people in an image  ;D The other people can quickly be confirmed on another pass. (less than 2 minutes work).

Very impressive so far.

Aubrey.

Mario

QuoteI expect no other amateur DAM has the age feature

Not sure how many of the big $ systems have face recognition or ages. FR maybe, but I have not encountered one which does ages dynamically based on date of birth and.

Quote(you ought to be patenting your ideas)

This is, unfortunately, not possible.

1. Filing one parent can easily cost between 20,000€ and 50,000€ for the European/US/CAN/AUS market alone. Fees, specialized patent lawyers etc.
China and other countries not included.

2. A patent is only useful if you have the financial and legal powers to enforce it. If somebody steals your patented idea, you need to hire (expensive) lawyers which file a case in the country where your parent was violated. And forget it if it was in China...

The patent law has been designed and re-designed for the big companies. Some of which file 1000ths of patents per year - just in case. Or to trade when they violate the parent of another company. These companies have the money and the law departments to file patents, to defend them and to make deals with other companies having patents they violate.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

QuoteThen selected confirm persons. The person in the filter was confirmed but not others

This was requested and discussed and implemented that way. It also depends in which view you are in.

I recommend using the Face Manager for the quickest and easiest workflow for confirming faces.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on May 09, 2020, 04:58:49 PM

This was requested and discussed and implemented that way. It also depends in which view you are in.

I agree, that was a good implementation decision.

Yes, I read about Face Manager in the Community, I could not activate it with F4 and didn't know that the smiley icon can also be used (Missed this in the manual). Looks like a really fast check. I'll start to use it. Need to work out why F4 not working (not keyboard as F4 works fine in Excel).

Aubrey.

Mario

F4 works in the File Window if there is exactly one face in the image (else, which faces to manage?).
Use the Viewer otherwise. This is the preferred way to work with faces.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator