APP REQUEST: run the Photoshop Image Processor

Started by Carlo Didier, July 19, 2017, 04:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Didier

I'd like to see an app to run the Photoshop Image Processor with images selected in iMatch, like you would do from Bridge (see screenshot)

Jingo

Hi Carlo - unfortunately (as far as I know) - the Photoshop IP can ONLY be called from bridge or photoshop directly... they do not offer a command line type interface to launch it with a set of pass in images.

Depending upon the type of IP script you are trying to run - you may be able to create a droplet via an Action.. and then an APP (or perhaps even a favorite) can all the droplet with the selected images to process them....

Carlo Didier

Yes, the droplet worked with the old scripting engine. I don't want (and I really can't afford to) invest hundreds of hours to learn the new scripting stuff, but the image processor is important for me (as are event scripts and other stuff that's not possible anymore).
The iMatch batch processor doesn't give me the functionality I want, given that doesn't respect all the non-destructive adjustments I do in ACR when exporting for example to jpegs.
I use the Photoshop Image Processor combined with various Photoshop macros to generate the jpegs in batches as I need them.

Jingo

Aha.. gotcha.

Perhaps if you detail some of the thinks your Image Processor scripts do, we can investigate other freeware or open source applications that support command line passing to see if we can script something similar?

Mario

QuoteThe iMatch batch processor doesn't give me the functionality I want, given that doesn't respect all the non-destructive adjustments I do in ACR when exporting for example to jpegs.
This would be impossible to to. Only Adobe can interpret their render engine instructions.

The shellExecute function of the IMatch class allows you to start external programs. This has a lot of extra functionality we did not have in IMatch 5, including waiting for the external program to finish.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on July 20, 2017, 08:22:04 AM
QuoteThe iMatch batch processor doesn't give me the functionality I want, given that doesn't respect all the non-destructive adjustments I do in ACR when exporting for example to jpegs.
This would be impossible to to. Only Adobe can interpret their render engine instructions.

I know, hence my problem.

Quote from: Mario on July 20, 2017, 08:22:04 AMThe shellExecute function of the IMatch class allows you to start external programs. This has a lot of extra functionality we did not have in IMatch 5, including waiting for the external program to finish.

Yes, but how would you pass a list of pictures with their full paths as parameter for the Photoshop Image Processor? That's the basic problem.

Ferdinands Image Processor script in IM5 did the job by running each image sequentially through Photoshop. Something that needs not only to pass an image path and name to Photoshop, but also be able to run a Photoshop script/macro and then save the result in a user-defined folder.

If I want to process only images from a single folder, I can open that folder in Bridge, select my images and run the Photoshop Image Processor. But if the images to process come from various folders (through a query/search/category/collection/whatever, this isn't practical anymore.

Mario

I think Ferindand uses COM automation to do this?! This could be done with IMatch 2017 as well, e.g. by writing a PowerShell script which automates Photoshop and which just pulls the selected files out of IMatch or something. I have never automated Photoshop so I cannot help you there. But PowerShell is made to automate things, and it can access IMatch database easily...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook