Using exiftool to extract embedded image data

Started by ubacher, May 07, 2017, 05:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

I have an image from a Samsung smartphone - taken using the selective focus option.
This image has two further images embedded (showing different focus settings). Exiftool shows this:
[Samsung]       Embedded Image Name             : FocusShot_1
[Samsung]       Embedded Image                  : (Binary data 6202056 bytes, use -b option to extract)
[Samsung]       Embedded Image Name             : FocusShot_2
[Samsung]       Embedded Image                  : (Binary data 5782454 bytes, use -b option to extract)
[Samsung]       Time Stamp                      : 2017:05:05 19:14:30+02:00

With the help of the exiftool forum I have established how to extract these:
"c:\Program Files (x86)\photools.com\imatch5\exiftool.exe" -embeddedImage -a -b -W %d%f%c.%s tst.jpg

How can I do this with the Imatch exiftool processor?

Mario

Not everything is doable with the ECP. You are working with a very special syntax and binary data here. The ECP is designed for writing and displaying text data, not binary dumps.

Is this (another) proprietary image format or does Samsung document this? I know that Samsung is working hard on all fronts now to pull users into their cloud services and access private data, but maybe this format is documented? Maybe a WIC codec is available for this?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook