IMatch Anywhere and the real DB?

Started by sinus, March 12, 2017, 06:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi Mario

I am quite sure, I have read it somewhere, but cannot find it yet.

You know my quite big DB. Of course I make a backup every day.

Is it safe, when I am download IMA and work then with the real DB?

I cannot imagine, that there could be any danger for the DB but asking is better.  ;)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

IMatch Anywhere is production code. It is as 'safe' to use as IMatch itself.

QuoteIs it safe, when I am download IMA and work then with the real DB?

Why don't you make a Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V copy of your database in Windows Explorer and use that for IMatch Anywhere?
This way your real database is in no danger at all, and you can use IMatch and IMatch Anywhere at the same time.

This is the recommended working mode anyway - see the IMatch Anywhere documentation for details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

jelvers

Quote from: Mario on March 12, 2017, 07:16:10 PM

Why don't you make a Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V copy of your database in Windows Explorer and use that for IMatch Anywhere?
This way your real database is in no danger at all, and you can use IMatch and IMatch Anywhere at the same time.

This is the recommended working mode anyway - see the IMatch Anywhere documentation for details.

But woulnd't that mean to always copy the DB when you have made changes, be it new pictures, categories or what have you? For me the process is more to make regular backups of the DB and use one DB for IM and IMWS. So latest changes are always recognised.Re parallel use (which would be an argument for two DB), at least I don't use IM when I am using IMWS.

Regards, Juergen

Mario

This depends entirely on your workflow and requirements.
IMatch Anywhere supports multiple scenarios.

If you always want to have the latest data available via IMatch Anywhere, you publish your original database.
If you want to work on your IMatch database while you also publish it via IMatch Anywhere, you use a copy of your IMatch database file.
This can be automated (shut-down of IMA, copy over the database, restart IMA) with a singe batch file.

If you need to implement a 'publish' workflow where you control when an IMatch database becomes available via IMA, you use a copy of your database.
You control when you publish a new version of your database.
Again, this can be automated easily (e.g. every night).

In many scenarios IMA runs on a different PC or appliance than the computer you use for IMatch (A server, a notebook or one of these cool stick PC's). In that case you work with a copy of your database always.

Having the ability to run IMA on a stick PC (Intel NUC or similar) and just plug it into a TV set or a HD projector for presentation is great. Just copy over your database and have "living" Windows PC with IMA in your pocket.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook