Access Imatch anywhere

Started by zematima, December 28, 2016, 07:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zematima

Hi all:
Installed IMatch Anywhere on my PC. Very easy installation and everything works fine (On PC)
Then I tried with the Sony Xperis Z (tablet) and the Sony Xperia Z2 (phone)
They are both connected to my WiFi .
I am at home.
My database is on drive D (detected by IMatch Anywhere on the PC)
I put the URL that is in front of IMatch WebViewer (something like http://xxx:8081/imatchviewer) and I get the error ERR_NAME_NOT__RESOLVED in both machines.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
JRosa.

Mario

Apparently your smart phone cannot resolve the computer name (get the IP address of the computer from your router).
Your router probably does not run a DNS service and hence you cannot use computer names in your network - you need to use the IP addresses instead.

I recommend you first check if you can enable the DNS in your router. Usually this is always enabled. It makes things much easier.

If this fails or is not possble:

1. Change the imwsUrl configuration option in the config.json file for your IMatch WebViewer installation to use the IP address of the computer running IMWS.

2. Use the IP address in the URL in the browser to access IMWS from your smart phones.

Let me know if you need detailed help with this. But it is described in the IMatch Anywhere help: Click at the top on WebViewer Configuration.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

zematima

Thanks Mario.
I put my IP adress after changing the config.json and it works very well and fast.
Now if I leave the PC working , go to a friends house, how can I access the database?
Do I need to connect with my phone card or is it enough to connect to his wifi network?
Another question, is it necessary to translate?
Thanks again.
JRosa.

Mario

1. You should really get your DNS service going. Your router can change the IP address assigned to the PC running IMWS any time, and then you will have to update the config.json and the URL accordingly. Better to access the computer by name.

2. You cannot just access the computer running IMWS from the Internet. The Windows firewall and your router blocks access from the outside to your local network for security reasons. You DON'T want to allow computers from the Internet to access your local network. Not without good reasons and without establishing security.

Please see the topic Deployment Scenarios in the IMatch Anywhere help for details. Especially the section about accessing your computer safely from the outside via a VPN.

3. You want to help translating IMatch Anywhere (Controller application and/or WebViewer) into another language? Translating the WebViewer is quite easy.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

zematima

Thanks Mario.
1 - I have assigned a fixed IP (that's why it didn't work the first time...) so I can have access from my tablet/phone to one shared folder of my PC where I have a lot of movies. So Everytime I want to use this service I don't have to change the IP in all the devices. So this way The config file will be always the same.

2 - Please see the topic Deployment Scenarios in the IMatch Anywhere help.
Can't find this topic on the help.
This software makes sense (at least for me) if I can connect from outside.
To do that I need a router that can support VPN? That's enough?

3 - If you think it's a good idea to have IMatch Anywhere translated you can count with me.
Just tell me what to do.

JRosa.

Mario

2  Did you look at the correct help? Just press <F1> in the Controller and then click on Deployment Scenarios in the Navigation on the right.

A VPN allows you to  connect safely from another computer to your computer at home.

QuoteThis software makes sense (at least for me) if I can connect from outside.

Sure. That's what IMatch Anywhere is designed to do. You can use it in your home or corporate network, and you can use it to publish your DAM to other people over the Internet.

The problem is that when you "open" a computer to the Internet, the bad boys will come and try to break in. This is not a problem specific to IMatch WebServices, but a general problem for all web servers facing the Internet. You have to take precautions, like using firewalls, a hardened web server like Apache etc.

The IMatch Anywhere help explains about security implication and details some typical deployment scenarios, for home and corporate use.

3.1 The Controller application is translated in the same way as IMatch - it uses a resource file. The file is named imwsc.xml and you can find it in the installation folder. BUT, I plan to move as much functionality from the Controller to a "Admin" section in IMatch WebViewer as possible over the next months. I don't think that translating the controller will make much sense.

3.2 Translating IMatch WebViewer is super easy. All you need is a free software called Po-Edit (https://poedit.net/) and then you can directly create a translation to your language using the file "template.pot" included in IMatch WebViewer. I expect an initial translation to take 1.5 - 2 hours.

I will setup a description of how to translate IMWV and a version control system beginning next year.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

zematima

I found the Help... Thanks.
Waiting for next year for news about translation.
JRosa.