File Nameing

Started by cthomas, November 20, 2016, 08:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomas

Would you use this file naming practices? And at what point when creating and setting up your database would begin namingyour files?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

jch2103

Quote from: cthomas on November 20, 2016, 08:58:49 PM
Would you use this file naming practices? And at what point when creating and setting up your database would begin namingyour files?

It really depends on your specific needs. One of the advantages of using a digital asset manager like IMatch is that file name isn't as critical (as long as you avoid duplicate names in the same folder), because you can use metadata to find/sort/organize images and other files. That said, some users here use fairly elaborate naming conventions, in part because it's useful to clients who aren't using a DAM. Other users keep it very simple.

In terms of renaming, IMatch has excellent tools (e.g., the Renamer) for renaming files individually and in bulk. You'll likely find that being able to use these tools would be easier than trying to rename files before adding them to your database.
John

sinus

If you search here on the forum, you should find some examples, how other people does this, for example

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=5708.msg39346#msg39346

Specialy consistent is important, so you can always changing something in IMatch very easy.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

cthomas

Quote from: sinus on November 21, 2016, 07:09:12 AM
If you examples, you should find some examples, how other people does this, for example

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=5708.msg39346#msg39346

Specialy consistent is important, so you can always changing something in IMatch very easy.

Would you give me an example of how to do a search for examples here on the forum? When I try to search I get stuff like this.

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

sinus

I used only the search-expression

filenaming

One word, I think, it the best for searching here.
Markus

Mario

Or search for naming convention or renamer or naming schema ...

If you have found a good file naming schema for your situation and need help with how to implement it with IMatch's Renamer, let us know.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

If you include the date in the file name remember to use YYMMDD (or YYYYMMDD) this adds a natural sort that does not happen with DDMMYY.

I name my files MyInitials_CameraType_YYMMDD_0originalFilenumber.ext
The file numbering in the camera is  never reset. (I've never got over 99,999 files with a camera)

eg:
AOC_D500_161101_01162.NEF
or
AOC_D300_151015_31167.NEF

In hind sight I should have used YYYY for year, but in 2008 this did not seem a big deal.

Aubrey.

sinus

Quote from: Aubrey on November 22, 2016, 07:57:50 PM

In hind sight I should have used YYYY for year, but in 2008 this did not seem a big deal.

Aubrey.

Maybe this would have been better. Yes, I agree. But is is really not a big deal.  ;D
Also the 99'999 is nowadays not that much for a camera, but of course this depends on what you do (take a lot of photos or not).

But the most important thing is, be consistent.
Then we can always change something in our naming convention.
Markus

ubacher

Also keep in mind versioning: having images which are derived from one other:
The usual, and most logical, is to use the same name an append some text at the end of the derived file to indicate the nature of the difference.
You can then set up Imatch to automatically recognize which file is a master and which a derived file.