Search Bar Only Letting One Of Multiple Words Represent Metadata

Started by Darius1968, August 13, 2013, 09:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

For example, in my mp3 collection, I have the entire 1974 album by Elton John, Caribou.  If I search for "Elton Saucers", it will return the corresponding tune off the Caribou album, because all is in the file name itself.  However, if I enter, "1974 Saucers" in the search bar above the file window, nothing return; Only one metadata at a time allowed!  How can I get the search engine to respond to both?  What is the correct syntax for this? 

Mario

The search term you enter must always be fulfilled by one metadata tag, even if you use AND or OR or multiple words. The search engine uses your search term and applies it to each individual metadata tag. If you search for "1947 Saucers", this term must match one metadata tag. It cannot be spread about multiple tag. This is a limitation in the search engine which allows it to be so fast (100,000 files search in about one or 2 seconds). It's a quick way to search large files quickly for patterns. I have made this restriction more clear in the search engine help topic recently.

If you want to perform more complex searches, use the Filter Panel.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

Very interesting!  With this in mind, does IMatch 5 provide any means of say, taking the ID3 tags for year and album and concatenating them into a third user-defined metadata field of some sort that would facilitating the search engine being able to catch the file without the need for using a filter? 
Also, since selections are not used anymore, is it possible to utilize data-driven categories in such a way as to let one pick images between 2000x3000 and 4500x5700, again not having to impose a database-wide filter? 

Mario

1. You can combine multiple tags into one output tag (no user-defined tags, mind) via a metadata template.

2. You can use range filters in data-driven categories, e.g.

in combination with the width or height. Since data-driven categories use one tag per level, you can filter only one on tag (width or height, but not both).

Instead of searching for music files, I would always prefer to use a data-driven category like

Artist, Year, Album
or
Year, Artist, Album

(you can do both, which allows quick access either by year of release or artist).

Avoids a lot of searching, and you can use these categories in the Filter panel too!

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook