Multiple write back with metadata templates

Started by cytochrome, August 22, 2016, 03:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cytochrome

Hello,

Back in 2014 Ferdinand posted that "Metadata templates writing only hierarchical keywords lead to multiple writeback" https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=3353.msg21927#msg21927.

Normally I don't use keywords, categories are so much faster. But now I want to copy my QUI and QUOI (who, what) categories to a collection of JPGs for friends. I setup a metadata  template to copy from {File.Categories.Direct|Filter:^QUI;level:leaf};{File.Categories.Direct|Filter:QUOI;level:leaf} to XMP::Lightroom\hierarchicalSubject.

This does what I want but after I hit the yellow pen and metadata is written and read back the pen comes back, and then sometime a third time.
The first pen wants to write to IPTC::ApplicationRecord\Keywords, XMP::Lightroom\hierarchicalSubject and XMP::dc\Subject, the second pen to IPTC::ApplicationRecord\Keywords,  and XMP::dc\Subject and the third pen IPTC::ApplicationRecord\Keywords,  and XMP::dc\Subject again.

In the Metadata options I have Write hierarchical keywords and Write path elements unchecked.

In Ferdinand's post of 2014 Mario answered "Fixed for 5.2.6. Just a missing flag in the code."

I am running 5.6.22 on Win10

Francis

PS I tried to use Ferdinand's script but had problems that I will detail in the script section

Mario

This effect is usually caused by the data already in the file, and the user's mapping settings for keywords.
I have explained this many times, last week for the last time when I remember correctly.

Basically the first write creates 'flat' keywords (in XMP-dc:Subject and/or legacy IPTC keywords) which cause 'new' keywords to be generated during the re-mapping when IMatch re-imports the file after writing the changes. These new keywords are then mapped from flat to hierarchical, generating new keywords there as well, and a new write-back requirement.

Carefully analyze your mapping setting under Edit > Preferences > Metadata.
Look a the existing keywords in your files.
Pay attention to your thesaurus, and if and which levels you have marked as groups or ignore levels.
Open the ExifTool output panel and look which keywords IMatch is writing.

All this cannot be understood from your post of course so I cannot give further specific advice.
Usually this just work, unless the user works against the system or the metadata in the file is a mess to start from.

A thread two years old is most likely not related to your experience. And the 5.2 is historic.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook