How name seqentially jpg output files in print module

Started by jonz, July 31, 2016, 10:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonz

I'm probably missing something but I can't find a way to sequentially name jpg output files in the print module. The default file name mask ("Page {Print.Page}") seems a little off too, naming my files "Page - 1-2-3-4-5-6" etc which just doesn't look right.

I'd like to name the file output a three digit sequence number (starting 001) and then a text string (like "-Mexican portfolio").

I'm sure there's a whole set of variables I'm missing but could I get some help on this? By the way, the print module is fantastic!

Thanks very much

Jonz

sinus

I am not at IMatch now.

But I am pretty sure, this task is not for the print-tool.
For this you have a plenty of possibilites inside IMatch, to renamae BEFORE you go into the print-modul.

The print-page I do not know now, but I remember it has the variable something like

Print.Document.PageNumber

You are right: the print module is great.
Hope, you can get it out.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

jonz

Hi Sinus thanks, that does number the files, which is a good start. I obviously had the variable wrong, and the program was automatically renaming to prevent overwriting. But I'm still looking if it's possible to do a sequential number stamp the way the image batch processor does, with three digits. That way the files sort properly. But what you've sent me is a big start, thanks!

Is there some place that I'm missing where the print variables are listed?

I've always liked and used the image batch processor but the print module is way more capable. I know it's not finished, but it's a great help just the way it is.

sinus

Jonz,
inside IMatch you could use the renamer and there only take the processing instructions "file number (of the files)".
You could create a special folder , COPY the real images and rename only the copies really with 3 digits.

Or you change your real files-names to 3 digits, but not permanent. After print them out, you rename them again back.
Sorting: you can inside the printing modul sort for each sort-profile, what you have defined in IMatch.

And last but not least: the helpfile about the print-tool is really very helpful.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

jonz

Thanks, I have things working well and I appreciate your help. I was reading the help file on my phone and seem to have missed sections of it  >:(.  The print variables are all there, as you probably know! I'm finding the print module quite useful, thank you Mario for the concept and the tools.

Mario

Note: The "Scripting and Apps" board is for talking about scripts and IMatch apps. Not for topics like printing.
Please read the board description before you post. If in doubt, post in "General Discussion".
I will move this thread to the appropriate forum.

All variables available in Design & Print are listed in the Design & Print help, under the "IMatch Printing Variables" headline.

When you print individual image files, the File Name Mask in the output dialog controls how the files are named.
You can use standard IMatch variables and print variables (click on the variables button on the right side of this field to get a list).

The {Print.Document.PageNumber.Printed} is what you need for your file name.

See the D&P help for an explanation of all variables.

The Print.Process.Page is wrong, which is also the explanation for the strange file names. When IMatch prints a file and a file with the same name exists, it appends a sequential number to make it unique. And since the variable used to form the file name does not exist (and returns an empty string) every file name produced will be idential.

I just noticed that the variables dialog for this specific button does not list the special print variables. I'm not sure about the reason for this but I will have a look.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook