Apparent Folder and contents Duplication

Started by deejayw, January 10, 2016, 06:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deejayw

I'm a previous user of iMatch3 (.imdb4). So far as I am aware, my images have not moved (though there is a small possibility that my db previously pointed to a share on my NAS). However, on successful upgrade to iMatch5 (5.3.6 then 5.5.8) I found my folder tree as depicted in the 'Media & Folders' pane but updating any part of the tree results in a representation of a new duplicate tree. I'm sorry but I can't see the logic of what is happening. The help file indicates that it might happen but I can't find anything that explains why in my circumstances. The Properties pane for the root folders of my db indicate the same path ! In iMatch, I removed a folder containing a tree of ipod thumbnails from the database and then externally moved it's folder tree to a folder above that which I want iMatch to manage. I now have multiple duplicates of those folders ! iMatch seems to think that my original tree is a new tree and the image count is nearly double the amount of the original. I just don't know what is going on PLEASE HELP ! I hate to think of all the metadata I may lose and the time required to re-create it. I have a backup of the imdb4 and it's related files from before the upgrade.

Thanks in hopeful anticipation of rescue.

Mario

It's not clear from your post what you did. Please detail.

For me this sounds as you have moved your files to another disk and instead of using the relocate command, you added the folders a second time to database. Remember: IMatch manages disks by their unique media serial number, to support removable media.

Even if the path does not change when you move your files to a new disk, the media serial number will. IMatch then flags all folders as off-line (yellow icon). You then just use the Relocate command (see IMatch help for details) to tell IMatch the new location of your files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

deejayw

Mario thanks for your fast response. I don't know what I did, lots of inappropriate things I think. I think you are correct about 'Relocate'. Its been a long time since I did any cataloging and a similar amount of time since I had to replace the disc and replicate it. However, my new db is such a mess now, that I am considering deleting it and re-starting with my iMatch3(.imdb4) db, Relocating, then converting to 5.

Cheers

Mario

Little I can do in this case. Some tips:

1. If you are unsure, post a question here before you do anything. We have many helpful and experienced users in this community.

2. Make frequent backups of your database (daily!) and also before you attempt something you did not do before. This way you can easily roll-back all changes by just copying the backup database back.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

deejayw

As indicated earlier, I went back to v3.6 to sort out the mess I made.
Opened 3.6, 'Relocated' my db image location to the same path. Shutdown & re-opened 3.6.
Re-scanned the complete image repository represented by the db. Shutdown 3.6.
Created a backup of the updated  db and ancillary files.
Deleted the v5 db (.imdb5) file that was a complete mess. Opened v5, created a new db and closed v5.
Used the db converter to go from .imdb4 to .imdb5. After a lengthy wait the conversion completed with only 6 observations.
Created an external backup of the new db and ancillaries.
I'm now up and running and keen to start learning the differences.

I now consider this topic closed. Thanks for input from Mario.

I have another issue I need to fix but it is not specifically related to this topic, so I'll post a new one unless I can find the answer hereabouts.

Mario

Quote from: deejayw on January 17, 2016, 06:21:54 PM
I'm now up and running and keen to start learning the differences.
Start with the "For IMatch 3 Users" help topic in the IMatch help system.
Check out the "Visual Index" to get an overview of all major features.

All topics reachable via the Welcome page in the Help System (Help menu > Open Help System).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator