Don't understand concept of read-only databases

Started by DesperateTagger, December 17, 2015, 12:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesperateTagger

I've set up an IMatch database that menbers of my team can edit while other company staff should only be enabled to view.
So I stored the database on a network drive my team has read and write access to while the other users have only read access.
I thought this would be OK reading the help:
"Sharing IMatch Databases/ 2. File System Privileges

• All users need write privileges to the folder containing the database, not only the database file (.imd5) itself. IMatch creates temporary files in the database folder while using the database.
  • If you want to prevent a user from opening a database in writable mode, revoke the write privileges for the folder containing the database file for that user account or his group. The user can then only open the database in read-only mode. To prevent a user from opening an IMatch database at all, don't give that user access to the folder containing the database."
In my opinion, the second sentence invalidates the first if you are looking for read-only access, so I used file system permissions as above.
However, my '"read-only" colleagues get an error message: "insufficient privileges".
Elsewhere in the help file, there is a sentence that makes it clear that write access to the network folder is necessary for ALL users!
"Locked or Write-protected Databases
Even for opening a database in read-only mode, the user must have write permissions for the folder containing the database. The database system creates temporary files. You can give the user read-only access to the database file itself, though. "
If I put it together, this would make sense:
"If you want to prevent a user from opening a database in writable mode, revoke the write privileges only for the database file itself for that user account or his group. "
Is this true?

Mario

The database system needs to be able to write to the folder. it creates journaling and rollback files.
The sentence in the help is misleading (written for an older version). You can revoke the privs on the IMD5 file, not the folder.

Please use the "feedback" link at the bottom of the help to send me a notice with your suggestion.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook