Batch processing options

Started by Aubrey, November 04, 2015, 02:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

In batch processing options in Folder and Filename one has the option as to what to do when there is an existing file in the folder.
If one selects " Ask What to Do", and then if a file exists in the folder one gets a pop-up window to say, "do you want to replace the existing file". If one says No then the new file is not written to the folder (though with the time lag it appears to be generated in any case.... not sure where it goes!)

A better workflow would be if one selects No to the question "do you want to overwrite file", then one should be given further options:
"Create a unique filename"
"Skip"

One may not want to always "skip" or "overwrite".... this was the reason the user selected  "ask what to do" !

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Mario

I think that in many cases, the Batch Processor outputs into an empty or new folder. Or that the user lets the Batch Processor clear the output folder before the processing begins. Or that he re-runs a Batch Processor but does not want to overwrite existing files created by a previous run. Hence I kept things simple.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Mario,
It was the second part of the mail that contains the feature request. If one selects "Ask what to do", I think that there should be similar options as are available in the drop down list of the image batch processor window when a file already exists:
Create Unique file name
Replace existing file
Skip

Currently, if one selects "Ask what to do", the only options presented if a file already exists are:
Replace existing file
Skip

I'm asking that if one does not want to replace the existing file, then one should be given a further option window:
Create unique file name
Skip

An even better solution would be one window popping up with 3 selections and a radio button:
Replace existing file
Create unique file name
Skip

The rationale behind this.
The current method works fine for my usual workflow, this is:
Usually I want to overwrite a file, e.g. I have a DNG file and I want to make a jpg. If I change the DNG then I will want to overwrite the old jpg. So my preset is set for this.

I'm preparing a course and want to show unprocessed and processed images beside each other, and some cases just processed images. To put these in PowerPoint I need to convert to jpg.
Unprocessed images are XXX.NEF, processed are XXX.DNG, i.e., same root name
So if I convert XXX.NEF and XXX.DNG to JPG I need to create yet another preset so that it will create a unique file name. If there was an option window on the first preset to allow me to Replace existing file, Create unique file name,
Skip then life would be simpler

Your thoughts... perhaps I'm the only user who suggests this, and it would be a lot of work to implement. Perhaps most users prefer just the 2 options, skip, overwrite.

Aubrey.

Mario

QuoteYour thoughts... perhaps I'm the only user who suggests this, and it would be a lot of work to implement. Perhaps most users prefer just the 2 options, skip, overwrite.

Such a change is maybe a 4 to six hours of work (coding, testing, changes to resources and dialogs, updating the help, all translators must update the resources). Well see how many likes this one gets. Even a few likes are usually a good indicator that a feature is required by many users - because most IMatch users don't participate in the community or are 'silent'.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook