Mapping of Category to Field

Started by ulim, July 30, 2015, 10:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulim

Hi all,

are category assignments saved back to the image? If yes in which field?

Many thanks in advance,

Ulrich

Ferdinand

No.  But keywords are stored in the file.  I suggest you read the help file about the difference.

Mario

Quote from: Ferdinand on July 30, 2015, 11:44:00 PM
No.  But keywords are stored in the file.  I suggest you read the help file about the difference.
Correct. The @Keywords category hierarchy is special, because IMatch maps between these categories and hierarchical keywords, which finally end in your file at some time. Normal IMatch categories cannot be written to files, because they are much more advanced than simple keywords.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ulim

Ok, the categories I use are simple and flat strings (imported from iMatch 3). So is there a way to map them to some XMP field and tell iMatch to write them out? Perhaps even map them to keywords?

Ulrich

Mario

You could use a Metadata Template to convert your categories into XMP hierarchical keywords. We had several discussions about how to do that so try the search engine. After IMatch has updated the keywords, your files will show up under @Keywords. You can then delete your old categories.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ulim

Thanks for the pointer, I'll look into that.

However, I just checked the @Keywords category and found that all my categories are already there!

The database contains about 30000 images recently imported from an iMatch 3 database, which has been going for many years.

Here's my theory on this: in iMatch 3 my wife (who is the main user of the database) put the images into categories as well as assigning a like-named IPTC Keyword. So now iMatch 5 imported all the categories and shows the keywords under the @Keywords category. So theoretically I could delete the iMatch categories right now.

Ulrich