temporary docs should not be indexed

Started by sinus, May 22, 2015, 10:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi
I searched, but without success. Either I am wrong or I missed the posting. Because I believe, that this issue was once here in this forum.

I have enabled autoindexing of files.
Now, when I do create a word-doc and save, after some time this will be automatically indexed, what is fine.
But when this doc is open in Word, I believe, Word does create a second, temporary file, with some cryptic signs in the filename (see the left thumb).

Unfortunately this temporary file will also be indexed, see attachement. So I have two files in IMatch, and I know, if I close the Word, the temporary files will be deleted automatically in Word, but stays some times quite a long time in IMatch.

BTW: the file will not be deleted during an automatically indexing, so I have to go in the folder and do manually a rescan (shift F5), then the file disappears).

Is there a possibility to avoid, that IMatch does index these files? IF the cryptic signs would be always the same, maybe we could say IM, that these files should not be indexed?

Or do you have a solution for this?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

rainforest1155

Hi Markus,
Is the file extension of the temporary file also .docx? If that's the case I think this might be something Mario would have to address as I don't see a way of excluding files based on their filename if the file extension is one you've enabled.
For the time being, you could consider setting up a filter based on the filename and exclude any filenames that start with ~$ .

Sebastian

sinus

Hi Sebastion
Thanks for your answer.

In my case the ending is twice doc (not docx).

You can see this in my attachement, once in a window, then in IMatch.

The "problem" is, that the temporary file does not vanish automatically from IMatch, I have to do a rescan (or maybe something else, what I am not aware of).

Because these temporary files are in IMatch annoying and I think, not necessary, they should not be indexed by IMatch
But maybe other users think not so or it is not easy to implement this.

After all, it is not a real problem, only a small disturbance. Your idea with filtering I have to check, thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Markus

rainforest1155

Hi Markus,
Yes, I noticed the attachment but wasn't sure with your heavily customized file window if the top right item is indeed the file extension or just indicating the type of file.

I use Openoffice on my computer and it's creating lock files that shouldn't be caught by IMatch as it adds a # to the file extension on lock files - so in your case it would be a doc# lock file. Hardly a solution for you if you've already paid for MS Office, but if the issue does bother you much, you could look into installing Openoffice on the side to see if it would work for you as a Word replacement.

All the best,
Sebastian

Mario

IMatch adds all files to your database which match a supported (and enabled) extension.
The proper way to handle this is for applications like Office to store temporary files in the temporary folder (that's what this folder is for) or use a file name with an extension like .tmp or something. Or use a sub-folder.

If Office is so dumb as to use the same file extension for temporary files and regular files, how should IMatch tell? If .doc is a supported format, it will add all files adding with a .doc extension when it rescans a folder.

As you know, IMatch does never automatically remove files from your database, to prevent you from accidentally loose data just because you rename or move a file in Windows Explorer or in another application. If you rescan a folder explicitly, IMatch will remove off-line files as well.

Solution:

1. Contact Microsoft and ask them to do it right, like they always tell us developers in their documentation. For example, use .tmp as the extension for temporary files, or store temporary files in the TEMP folder. Of course they won't answer or just laugh in your face.

2. Close IMatch while you create temporary files in Office - or -

3. Disable automatic folder monitoring so IMatch no longer rescans the folders when it receives information from Windows about new files.

If you think that IMatch should start adding special cases and work-arounds for application-specific temporary files, add a FR.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

thrinn

QuoteIf Office is so dumb as to use the same file extension for temporary files and regular files
It is.
But to say something positive about Word: These temporary files are marked as "hidden".
So maybe the question is: Should IMatch skip "hidden" files when rescanning a folder?
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

IMatch allows you to exclude hidden folders, but not files: Edit > Preferences > Indexing.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Thanks a lot for your help, Sebastion, Thorsten and Mario

I think, writing for Microsoft I will not do.  ;D ???

Because it is not that a big thing, I will not do a Feature request and I will see, if I can solve it for me.
There are mostly alternative ways, let's look.

But of course it is stupid of Microsoft doing so.

Have a nice weekend!
Markus

thrinn

Hi Markus,
I just posted a FR https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=4571.0 to include an option to skip hidden files. As I use IMatch now to manage not only photos but also other types of documents, I am also interested in this feature.

I am positive that an IMatch FR, even if it stays at the bottom of the list, will be implemented much sooner than a change in whatever MS application. ;)
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA