Can multiple users simultaneously access and modify the same catalogue?

Started by laithwark, May 06, 2015, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laithwark

Can multiple users simultaneously access and modify the same catalogue? Our studio uses iMatch for our image bank and so far it's not been possible for more than one person to open a catalogue at any given time.

Mario

Multiple users can share an IMatch database in read-only mode. If a database needs to be modified, one user must open the database exclusively.
See the Sharing IMatch Database topic in the IMatch help system for detailed information.

If you truly need a multi-user concurrent write DAM, look into the server-based systems provided by companies like Widen, Canto, FotoWare and others. These systems use dedicated server machines to handle concurrent write access. They cost a bit more than IMatch though. A sales rep will give you a call when you contact them.

There are also some cheaper "web-based" or multi-user DAM's around, but they offer only limited functionality. At least when you look at it from the IMatch perspective.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Photon

Long ago, when starting with DAM, I used MediaPro. A lot of instabilities, lack of bug fixes and other heavy limitations made me go to Idimager and finally to Imatch. What a challenging trip with lucky end!

But MediaPro was quite good for my family and in small working groups, because of its free MediaProReader with read-only-access to the database. With this after synchronizing all the media files or common access on NAS and syncronizing the database file other team members could use the database in read-only mode and make searches quite conveniently. This was also good marketing for licensing the full version, because all the other read-only team members are acquainted to the software and some of them have been motivated to purchase a full license.

I think the idea of a free ImatchReader could at least be considered. May be the IM trial version could change after the trial period to a read-only IM version?

Regards, Martin
| IMatch v5.5.8 + Win7proN64bit | Lumix, Pentax |
| ExifTool, ImageMagick, GeoSetter | JPhotoTagger, MusicBee | CaptureOne, LightRoom | jAlbum, WingsPlatinum, Mobjects |

Richard

QuoteI think the idea of a free ImatchReader could at least be considered.

It has been many times in the last ten years.

QuoteMay be the IM trial version could change after the trial period to a read-only IM version?

IMatch 3 did. Are you sure that IMatch 5 doesn't?

Mario

The IMatch trial never expires. After 30 days it opens all databases in read-only mode. So, the the scenario described above, IMatch Trial = IMatchReader.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Photon

Oops! IMatch Trial = IMatchReader forever! That is perfect! I did not know this as a registered user.
This feature has to be spread. I will immediately install Imatch on all other PCs of my family.
How can I avoid 30 days delay before I can test the read-only capabilities? Is there a switch?

We are synchronizing regularly our photo and music collection from NAS to external USBs, however I only syncronize and share the FullHD JPG exports and not the original RAW files. I will check if the missing RAW and other special files will confuse the read-only users. May be I can just define a nice "read-only filter" for them, which blends all missing original and RAW files out.

This Imatch application is no more the answer to the original question of this post. Sorry laithwark.
However it is somehow related to it and good to know.

Regards, Martin
| IMatch v5.5.8 + Win7proN64bit | Lumix, Pentax |
| ExifTool, ImageMagick, GeoSetter | JPhotoTagger, MusicBee | CaptureOne, LightRoom | jAlbum, WingsPlatinum, Mobjects |

herman

Quote from: Photon on May 08, 2015, 02:37:08 PM
How can I avoid 30 days delay before I can test the read-only capabilities? Is there a switch?

To force "end of trial period" I would just set the PC date 2 months back before I install IMatch.
Run it once so that it is aware of the system date.
Close IMatch and synchronize the clock to internet time again.
I guess that should do the trick.
Enjoy!

Herman.

Mario

Quote from: Photon on May 08, 2015, 02:37:08 PM
See: Sharing Databases in the IMatch help system for information about how to open databases in read-only mode (Database menu).

I would _not_ set the clock back on your system to force an expiration of the trial version. This can cause a lot of problems with other software you have installed. No software is prepared for a PC traveling backwards in time.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

laithwark

Ferdinand

I think what I would do in this situation is create a duplicate of the DB, make it read-only, and have them access that for 30 days.  After that they can access the live one.