Rearranging image order when no date-time is available.

Started by deLaBoetie, April 19, 2015, 02:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deLaBoetie

I'm working with a large set of (scanned) images that do not have date-time information or necessarily a reliable sequence number associated with them.

I want to be able to visually rearrange the images manually into the (time) order I think is correct, and then persist that information into a metadata item, filename or attribute.  While I understand I can do a custom sort based on an attribute I set up, and entering a sequence number that way, that is very awkward, it would be much easier to visually drag the image sequence around, then have the sequence number generated.  But I cannot see a way of doing that in a panel.

From a "base" time and date taken from a sequence, I assume that I would use a script to add the sequence number of seconds to that base date in order to get an effective (and sortable) time sequence.

Any advice or approaches to this would be very welcome.

Mario

Switch the file window to the "Custom" sort profile. Then you can re-arrange the files in any way you like.
Search the help index for custom and then click on sort order in the results to open the corresponding help topic.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Richard

QuoteI want to be able to visually rearrange the images manually into the (time) order I think is correct, and then persist that information into a metadata item, filename or attribute.

Why not just set an estimated date and time in EXIF? That way they will sort correctly in the timeline. See "Modify EXIF  Date and Time" in Help.

jch2103

One other option, if applicable in your situation, would be to use the Renamer to change the file names to match your custom sort order (i.e., after you've created your custom sort, use the Renamer for that selection).
John

deLaBoetie

Thanks for the replies, I did look for sequencing help but didn't find the custom sort.

As it stands, that lets me perform file renaming, which is fine to a point.  If I want to apply that sequence number to an attribute (or do fancy things like shift the date/time from a base value), then I have to use a script, which gets its sequence number from the renamed filename, is that correct?

So for example, the procedure would then be,

a) assign a nominal date/time to the files in the sequence (at this point they would all have the same timestamp so would not be correctly sorted)
b) shuffle the images in the custom sort to reflect reality
c) use the file renamer to apply a sequence number to the selected files
d) run a script to take that sequence number from the file and apply it to attributes and timestamps
e) remove the sequence number in the filename if that is not desired

Any comments on sanity, are there applicable scripts?

Mario

I did look for sequencing help but didn't find the custom sort.

If you just type custom into the help index, or sort, you'll find the corresponding help quickly.

Manually arranging the images in the sequence you want and then running a rename should give you quick results. Basically you choose Custom from the sort profile drop-down in the File Window and then drag your files around to change their sequence.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

hluxem

I just posted this script in the scripting sections. The script adds a timestamp and increments the time stamp for each image to keep the chronological order.

Heiner

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=4477.0